Fan Speed Controler,

Exactly :D

They wire in like any other speed control or dimmer, that unit will need to be mounted or housed. A $8 jiffy from jaycar sort that out...

@Fate- would that work in place of a thyristor?

Disclaimer- As with anything electrical, if you dunno how then dont. Go see a sparky

JAIKAI

Edited by jaikai

Hi crew hope this helps some crew :peace: this is the proper way to make a fan speed controler an the rite parts {DONT USE CHEAP SHIT PARTS}post-30582-1250079316_thumb.jpgpost-30582-1250079452_thumb.jpgpost-30582-1250079585_thumb.jpgpost-30582-1250079642_thumb.jpgpost-30582-1250079677_thumb.jpg

Should be a

Hi crew hope this helps some crew :peace: this is the proper way to make a fan speed controler an the rite parts {DONT USE CHEAP SHIT PARTS}post-30582-1250079316_thumb.jpgpost-30582-1250079452_thumb.jpgpost-30582-1250079585_thumb.jpgpost-30582-1250079642_thumb.jpgpost-30582-1250079677_thumb.jpg

Should be a sticky this thread. Really good tut.

:hooked:

Tossing up whether to follow the DIY in the first post, or to fork out the cash for the variac.

All up the DIY is what $60 with everything bought, and say an hour of time for someone who isn't a a guru with tools. Versus $229 at jaycar.

I'm leaning towards the variac basically because I've seen them used many times in other threads on can fans, can fan actually recommend them for fans under their 12', I won't have amateur wiring in my setup (trying to do everything in my power to keep it clean, safe and professional.....ie not placing children in danger etc), and less likely to electrocute myself pluggin in the variac.

The only reason I like the DIY is because I'd really like two fan controllers, one for my cooltube (which makes the most noise) and one for my can fan (just to drop the gale force wind exiting my vent).

Decisions decisions.......any advice? Who has built one of these DIYs? Did it work well? I'm a mechanical/electrical engineer so wiring up doesn't worry me, albeit its still very illegal without a sparkies domestic license. I have heaps of experience with Clipsal and know its used for industrial purposes all over the place.......so you know it will last.

Edit:- the more I think about it the more I'm leaning to the Clipsal DIY. $229 just seems obscene for something that is essential exactly the same.

Edited by Ferrethead

• Oz unpinned this topic