Salvia divinorum

They've been in the closet clone crate for a while and as such they've gotten leggy and the lower growth has been shaded out (it's only fluro). In this example the clone has thrown roots off the main stem. Outdoors they get leggy and then fall over to root in the soil, thereby spreading by soil layering.

post-34885-1281417684_thumb.jpg

post-34885-1281417649_thumb.jpg

Looking good OT.

Can the branches which fall over outdoors be layers into and then cut from the main plant once roots form ??? i use this method for cloning my epiphyllum as it is the least most damaging on the plant i have found.

subsequently having a ready potted rooted clone without doing any real work ??? someone with a sally give it a try for me.

Yes, once the stems that fall over and have rooted to the soil, you can cut the main stem and lift new plants. They produce stem roots even more readily than tomato (and tomato soil layers easily).

I haven't tried this, though I'm sure it would work if one first used a stake to support the plant. Then get a handful of damp sphagnum moss and wrap it around a stem holding it in place with cling film and tying off with string. This would aerial propagate the plant, i.e., where you cut the main stem once the sphagnum moss is full of roots. It's commonly used on many ornamental genera; but given how readily Salvia will soil layer by themselves and strike from cuttings (even in just water) I haven't bothered with aerial propagation.

yeah, a FOAF got his in the mail not long back and it had started developing roots most of the way up the stem, he thinks it was because of the general ambient moisture in the wrapping from the rootball, also he got a clone from the plant only a week after having potted it and it has grown roots just sitting in water lol