Victorias mandatory rollout of the "smart" electricity meter

At least in Vic it gets so cold of a night you could be plugging in a couple of 1000w bar heaters for 12 hours. I am turning on my gas heater at 4pm nearly every day and not turning it off until I go to bed. The privacy issue shits me though. Big Brother syndrome. I also think it is more to do with stealing the power than being legit. I had a sparky mate back in the 70's who by passed the meter just because he lived in a two story house with about ten others and their power consumption was massive, just normal every day/night usage. If your average usage can stay the same or thereabouts from quarter to quarter, then I don't think they will be knocking on your door. The power co's just want your cash, the more you use the more you pay and the happier they are.

Okay, if a power company just wants our cash why do they need to know what appliances you are running at any given time?

That's what smart meters are all about; control.

They can turn off whatever they like in your house when they need too. It's called load shedding.

Okay, if a power company just wants our cash why do they need to know what appliances you are running at any given time?

They can turn off whatever they like in your house when they need too. It's called load shedding.

I'd wait and see on that issue. If they start doing that there will be a public outcry, that I am sure. Have they considered a home that has two shift workers who work different shifts? They could be using the same amount of power at different times of the day. Then there is the elderly. They could be running their fan heaters 24/7 or maybe 18/6/7 or 12/12/7. :)

Not quite that simple but yeah, 'load shedding' allows them to switch off certain appliances (hardwired ones like AC or dishwashers) in times of peak demand (45 degree days are a typical one).

I can see some problems with this system and non selective 'dumping' of connections, this could actually cost lives on a particularly hot day. Frail oldies, young babies and people with certain illnesses/conditions could be left without AC when they need it most (My Grandpa died from respiratory failure when a nighttime power failure knocked out his heater and respiratory monitor).

A system where people register as 'at risk' is not good enough, people are missed, or move address without notice ect.

anyway, that's just my thoughts and as far as them shutting off grow lights are concerned I dont think it will be a concern as I doubt they will put power point circuits on the system (I can smell the lawsuits now if they do), as I said before, will most likely just be the hardwired appliances.

:)