I need some help identifing these things...

I just noticed this morn some tiny little sandfly like bug emerge from my netpot. I think it may be a fungus gnat but im not sure. Maybe 1mm long, black to grayish with wings. I think theyre in the medium. There also seems to be another tiny little ant thing. Heaps smaller than a standard ant though. None of them can be too bad yet as the sticky traps I always use dont have shit on em. I know a foto would help but no can do and even if i could theyre too small.

Can you guys have some guesses as to what they may be so I can have a search and try to figure out what these are? I'll tell you what theyre not - not white fly, dont think theyre thrips, not aphids, not spider mites. Ive read Rads crush em up biocontrol however at the moment it'd take me days to catch that many so I want to try to get on top of it before they get entrenched. Drying the medium out isnt really an option as im using DWC. Is there any broad spectrum thingo I can put in my res?

Im thinking I should try the predatory mite - Hypoaspis miles - but finding it is another thing, and by the time they'd get established (18days) I'd be up to my balls in em. Anyone know how long it takes for the nematodes to work?

I dont give a fuck about organics at the moment as these are only just 4 weeks or so old, I just want to nuke em!

Just had a look at the picture of a fungus gnat on the ecogrow site and its definately not them so now im fucked...!

Edited by calaman

Ive never heard of those fungus gnats been growing a long time only outdoors & am in a semi arid area of Oz but have never had a problem with any insects apart from the normal ones. I use garlic & chilli spray it works on every insect Ive ever had any trouble at all 100% success & its organic. Edited by mark60

Hi calaman,

Your title says it all "I need some help identifing these things..."

Definately some medium based lava of particular fly's do eat away at the roots. Check your medium for any movement. Use a torch @ lights out if you need to.

"sticky fly traps" in your grow room.

Identification is important so i will recommend you visit "Bart's UK420 post" HERE !..

Bart's picture collection is a good read, :applause:

I'M THINKING 'SACRED FLY ?' (black fly) or Thrips some little critter fly. Reducing the moisture is the first step as this is what medium dwellers thrive on. The other practical step is if they have matured (flying around) then 'sticky fly traps in your room will finish them off.

:yinyang:

Nitty.

Sounds like a fungus gnat, they live naturally in gardens everywhere outside and show up when your plants have root problems, due to poor flushing, root bound, root temps too high, damaged roots from overfeeding etc etc.

Damage the rootzone and the Sciarid fly will turn up to lay it's eggs in the favourable conditions. The emerging larvae are the fungus gnats.

Get hold of some Scarid 10. Soak the whole rootzone in a solution of it. Repeat in 7 days to kill the next cycle of gnats to break the breeding cycle(very important) and you will wipe them out. Scarid 10 is nonsystemic and won't have you growing a 2nd head

Good luck :applause:

Ok Ive checked all these out,

Its not:

black fly

thrips

sciarid fly

sewer fly.

Buggers look to be crawling outa the perlite and flying off. I'll try nittys idea and have look at the root zone with a torch to see if i can identify anything in there. NQ is a bugger for pests.

Shit just looked at the time and the lights just came on 30 mins ago-another day lost

irey greetnz calaman

access the damage to your plant

do you need ti get rid of the fly????????

if so

collect about 20 insect pest flys and larva

mush dem up in 100ml of filtered pure water

leave it in the grow space at grow room tempture for 10hrs to brew

crucial-->brew -->mashed up insect pests + 100mil pure water-->10hrs at grow room temptures

then

after the 10hr brew

strain the brew

so it wont block the spray equipment

now mix at 100 parts water to 1 part strained insect brew

spray the entire grow space and plants

thourly

never

never spray under lights

ever

always spray befor the lights come on

or after they go off