Fungus Gnat Plague

Hi,

Ok Fungus Gnat

Unlike most of us think they are not bad to our crop :please: but they do have to be kept under control .

Fungus Gnat or sacrid fly actually help convert dead roots to food for the soil and plants and help decompose organic metrial in soils and coco.

They can cause some harm to seedlings and clones but very little to older plants and they usually appear when there is an overwatering issue in the medium.

The main issues we have with them is the fact they during the last 2 weeks of flowing the basterds get cought in the raisin and its a pain in the ass to manicure the buds :thumbsup: .

The best ways to control Fungus Gnat:

1. Make sure the plants are not overwaterd - and let them dry for a bit if they are.

2. Apply need tree oil at 10ml per liter 2nd application after 7 days then every 3 weeks it can be used for every stage in the plant life (even seeds) and its organic.

3. for long term control - Use a biological agent called Hypoaspis M, if you are growing in soil or coco get another one called delotia both of them have to be used twice - 2nd time after 2 weeks - if you are getting them apply the need tree oil 2 times then release the good bugs dont use the need oil after you realease the bugs

I had the same issue last winter - tried heaps of things that was the only things that did the job.

By the way the hydro shops dont usually carry this products Or know what to give us when we have this bug in our crop i got everything from an online shop called the urban gardener http://www.urbangardenershop.com.au/category/20/default.asp

Hope this helps,

Take care

Hi,

Ok Fungus Gnat

Unlike most of us think they are not bad to our crop

Fungus Gnat or sacrid fly actually help convert dead roots to food for the soil and plants and help decompose organic metrial in soils and coco.

They can cause some harm to seedlings and clones but very little to older plants and they usually appear when there is an overwatering issue in the medium.

The main issues we have with them is the fact they during the last 2 weeks of flowing the basterds get cought in the raisin and its a pain in the ass to manicure the buds :please: .

The best ways to control Fungus Gnat:

1. Make sure the plants are not overwaterd - and let them dry for a bit if they are.

2. Apply need tree oil at 10ml per liter 2nd application after 7 days then every 3 weeks it can be used for every stage in the plant life (even seeds) and its organic.

That would have to be some of the worst information I've ever read on Sciarid Fly.

Fungus gnats self seed the Pythium spore as they feed, which WILL damage the roots on any size plant and turn them brown, thus giving them more food.

How you think they come to get stuck in the raisin when they live in the roots is beyond me :thumbsup:

What the hell is need oil? Every stage of the plants life? Are you seriously saying you'd smoke that shit in the raisin?

Also they will re-emerge within 7 days of the initial application, not 2 weeks.

:yahoo:

Fuck the urban garden shop spam, go buy some Scarid 10 it's sold everywhere, apply it twice end of story.

Though I appreciate the sensitivity to chemicals I wonder if those sticky pest strips are an option for you. I've not had more than a few fungus gnats at a time but probably 2 mths since putting strips into my small area (cupboards) there's maybe a hundred or so stuck on em.

These things are great! The bright yellow ones attract all the pests. I have used PainMan's neem oil solution and added these sticky traps (I placed them right above the soil-line of all my pots). I have seen one or two gnats since, nothing more!

Ciao! Many, many thanks for this advice! ;) I am a medicinal user/grower and have never encountered the fungas gnats (I have grown all over the world, but this is my first time in AU). I was seriously at the end of my rope and the stress of this problem was literally going to kill me before the plants got the chance to flower, let alone harvest!

I have done the first round of soil drenching and I am ready to mix up a batch of the pesticida naturale (natural pesticide) as per your recipe here. lol I know this question may sound dumb (so please forgive me in advance), but do I chop up the peppers and garlic before boiling, or do I boil them whole? As I am set to do this almost immediately, a quick response to the question would be most appreciated and helpful! Thanks!

;)

I have virtually eliminated my fungas gnat problem. Many thanks to you, PainMan!! lol However, I did figure out rather quickly that applying this solution to the foliage WILL cause product damage (in the form of leaf-burn), so everyone should be very careful with that. :) When I started the process, applying the solution at the "lights out" or "dark" period was not an option for me as my plants were in the 24 hour daylight growth stage. I am currently experiencing other problems I can use help with (please see my post called "EMERGENCY! PLEASE HELP!" for more info)...