What the hell is an f2?

F1's are really common from the seed breeders. Since we are really only interested in finding our mothers we don't mind having some tall some short some this smell and that and so on. So with the exception on some of African Seeds landrace stock or cinderella 99 there aren't any other strains I know of that wouldn't be considered F1's

uhhm, ok how bout skunk #1, blueberry, bubblegum, northern lights #5, afghan, afghani #1, hindu kush, flo, orig haze, shiva, chitral, thai, oasis, romulan, sweet tooth and shiskeberry (all numbers over #2), etc.....

There is heaps of stable strains,backcross' and the likes for sale. heaps of F2's too, I reckon F2's make up alot of the seed sales, almost every US newbie starts with Nirvana or Cbay seeds.

Okay then I'd say Cinderella is my fave and Space Queen is delicousous.

One thing I'd add is the time it takes to grow from seed just sucks. I have a set of seedlings maturing all the time. That keeps the Stalwart interested in the future. But they are always gonna show diff phenos and so you have to flower em all. Just make sure you have room for what you start. I started with cannabisworld seeds I bought three packs and 27/31 were female. That was cause I happened to provide the conditions that Dutch Passion recommends.

But by the time they were mature they were 3 ft tall so I had the mothers and took two clones of each and flowered em. Still a lot of room but I found my thriller and over time discarded the rest. Now I have some bubblegum f2's some Kush x KC33 and some sky high Swazi Skunk from African Seeds. Bubblegums gonna be the next try.

I've not seen any Soul genetics for a few years.

The last that surfaced turned into my favourite strain of all time - ever.

Mr Souls "original" C99.

Around 01-02 it was picked up by a North American Breeder (Baudelaire), who founded the FDM seedbank on the back of these strains.

FDM strains included the original "princess" line of C99, Generals Daughter, Nev's Skunk and a load more besides (google fleur du mal seeds for more).

But the marijuana climate was hotting up even then in the states, and any wholesale breeding program bought with it the risk of a lot of jail time.

The last batch of seeds sent over to the UK from Baudelaire, were sent to Joolz at UK420. I was there when he received them and the postal service had crushed the consignment, leaving around 100 seeds intact out of a bag of over a thousand.

From that point forth, no one heard a great deal from either Baudelaire, or Fleur Du Mal seeds and the princess-related C99 just faded into history.

All I have are photo's of the C99 (I grew it with no nutrients - only water throughout), and I would be loathe to try another C99 having had the pleasure of trying out the princess line.

Although to the best of my knowledge the info above is true, I smoked a lot of weed in between so if I got a date wrong somewhere I apologise in advance.

I had a couple of other pictures of C99 to post, from back in the period 2003-05 but I ran out of attachment space. Doh :bleh:

RD

post-12300-1179671110_thumb.jpg

post-12300-1179671145_thumb.jpg

post-12300-1179671187_thumb.jpg

Edited by cannazine

Hi Luke;

I remember when the tester packs came out. I think the deal went "buy a pack of C99 or Generals Daughter and get Blue Widow or Janis Special as a tester as these strains were just launching.

Something like that anyway. Baud had some great strains although some were more successful than others (C99 over Generals Daughter frinstance) and its a real shame he's not still producing those strains (in that name anyway) lol.

Cheers Luke

RD

Edited by cannazine

The tag F1 refers to the first generation of the result of crossing two distinct strains of plants. The parents are called the P1 generation. And F2 means the result of crossing two F1's together.

Just quickly, genetic traits are coded by alleles, which are held in pairs on the chromosome. These pairs split during reproduction to create gametes, (ova and pollen) which will have half of the genetic information of the plant. Each plant contributes half of the genetics for any particular trait.

When you cross 2 plants of different strains, which have different traits, let's take short and tall plants for instance, (It's a little more complex, but you'll get my drift.) you'll get progeny from that cross called the F1 generation. This F1 generation will have characteristics somewhere inbetween those of the parent plants. So in this case, almost all of the plants will be of a height between the two, let's call it standard. Now, these plants will have what is called "hybrid vigor". These tend to grow vigourously, and have strong, diversified genes, which makes for a healthier plant.

Now, when you take two plants from the F1 generation, and cross these two together, what do you get? The F2 generation! This generation will throw up much different plants from the F1's. You'll get about 1/2 of the plants staying standard height, 1/4 short and 1/4 tall. Within the tall and short plants you will also end up with some which are significantly taller and shorter than any others. This is because you've inbred the line. Some of the plants are coming out with both genes for shortness, some get both genes for tallness, and some get one of each. Those with one of each allele for a trait are the heterozygous plants, and those with both genes for one trait are homozygous plants. In that trait anyway. In other words, you know that the plants which are tall in the F2 generation will have both genes for tallness, which makes for a purebreeding tall plant. When you start breeding the F2 generation with each other, you can really start to create individuals of exceptional traits, (not necessarily good ones, just purely expressed) because if you were to cross two of the short plants together from the F2, then you'll know that all the progeny will be small too, because there are two genes for shortness in both plants....

So in short, if you want strong plants, which are able to survive and thrive in much wider environmental ranges, then go for an F1. If you are after a particular trait though, like a plant that will love growing under lights, or extremely short, then go for an F2 cross, as these are stabilised for their traits.

I hope this has made sense, and I certainly hope I got it right. whitecluster is another one who knows about this stuff, maybe he'll correct my errors..... :D

Thank- you for the education.. If school had've taught the way you guys do, i might have gone once in a while.

:peace:

• Oz unpinned this topic