What the hell is an f2?

Not sure how many mothers I'll need B) How many clones could a single 2ft mother be good for? I might have the use for more mothers later on for a SoG ... if 1 mother could do this though, I'd be happy lol

I think I'll only be using the one strain to start off with.

Its easy to find strains that work together well. My strains all have kinda partner plants, I've got a few 50% haze's that grow well together and other plants like romulan and white widow are a good match in size. I even SOG different strains together sometimes (with varied results). You have to realize that the cannabis genepool isn't too varied these days, most dutch strains are merely white widow, haze, skunk, northern lights, and blueberry hybrids, and its easy to find strains that will grow well together. Also once you have grown the strains a few times you can give the smaller plants more veg.

Its great to have a large selection of different strains of pot at hand. I like new strains every harvest so I can keep getting stoned and not develop too much tolerance to my strains. Having a mixed strain garden will usually sacrifice yield but it will make your smoking pleasure yield much higher.

As for your question bubba, a 2ft mother will provide more clones than any sane grower will need for a crop unless you use dense sea of green style grows. 95% of what I cut off my plants goes into the bin not making clones, and my mums are 1ft tall. Lets say with a 2ft mother you could probably take 50 clones a month easily if you keep it growing strong. All mothers produce too much, there is no way to totally stop them growing when you don't need to take clones. You will only need 1 mother of each strain unless you find two distinct pheno's that are both worth keeping.

Heres a summary of the steps taken to stabilise a new strain as described by breeder Shantibaba, of Mr Nice Seed Bank.

It takes 5 generations to make a stable breed. In each step the best plants or those expressing the desired characteristics are chosen to create the next generation.

P(m) X P(f) = F1

F1 X F1 = F2

F2(f) X P(m) = F3

F3(m) X P(f) = F4

F4's should be stable, and are then interbred amoungst themselves to test the seeds for uniformity.

Or interbreed for a few generations then backcross the best new females with the original male parent to test the seed for uniformity.

Ghz

realistically by the time you do that for 5 or 6 generations the cost of running your grow operation for all that time would be more than if you bought a choice strain off a seedbank, not to mention the time and effort involved.

You can also see why the seeds from a reputable seedbank cost a bit more, it can take a couple of years to develop a strain properly with little in the way of returns until hopefully, a successful strain is developed.

http://www.gamers-forums.com/smilies/contrib/ruinkai/coolgleamA.gif

realistically by the time you do that for 5 or 6 generations the cost of running your grow operation for all that time would be more than if you bought a choice strain off a seedbank, not to mention the time and effort involved.

You can also see why the seeds from a reputable seedbank cost a bit more, it can take a couple of years to develop a strain properly with little in the way of returns until hopefully, a successful strain is developed.

http://www.gamers-forums.com/smilies/contrib/ruinkai/coolgleamA.gif

yeah exactly. I might try some one off crosses and if I find a special plant just keep it as a mother. But as for breeding new strains, forgetaboutit. :)

Guest weekprik

KISS (keep it simple stupid), is my choice :) its about me and breeding would be good in the right setup.

I couldnt do it myself though.

whats a good strain for pure strength??

Not when doing a backcross, it could be very simple, 1 light for finding and flowering males and 1 light for growing your buds and doing a few bag pollinations on the clone.

Male selection isn't all that important in a backcross so all you need to do is plant the seeds and keep a few nice males to collect the pollen in the end the genetics will be 99% of the mothers genetics anyway so as long as they aren't windy different plants or reverse males they will be ok.

But still that ain't a very good breeding method unless you have a rare clone and no males, the real good strains that will last forever aren't backcrossed clones but plants that have been selectively bred for specific traits, brother and sister style, which is kind of a more complex thing, Strains like Skunk, Haze, Blueberry, etc.... Even though it seems simpler just to cross brother and sister together generation after generation, it is actually harder because you don't know if the males possess the trait you want so you will have to do a ton of closed pollinations and test all the fathers children to see which males pass on genes for the trait in question.

But backcrossing and creating nice F1 hybrids can be done by anyone with more than a wardrobe.

Another reason why the good strains cost so much is the ridiculous selection numbers. Seedbanks like Sensi, Greenhouse, The Flying Dutchmen, Spice of Life, have used 100,000's of individuals to create some strains.

If you buy seeds from C-bay or some small breeder they would have used at most 50 plants, some of the smaller seed co's brag about using 40 test plants in certain crosses.

You are much less likely of finding exceptional individuals in a group of 50plants than a group of 100000.

And another reason for the cost is the fact people make F2's of their strains and sell them for 1/2 the price when they are less than 1/2 the quality.

@ weekprik, White Widow, Black Domina, they are 2 potent as shit indica's.

they definately aint uplifting strains, both more like valium but the widow doesn't effect your body as much.

Guest weekprik
I have a g13 now i know these dont produce seed, BUT what if i had another clone from the same motherplant and stressed it out by changing the light cycle around to piss it off, dont stressed plant go hermie or produce seed?

• Oz unpinned this topic