Guest weekprik

Oh, and I have looked at neem too, but there's another product just recently out, called eco-oil. I'm interested in this product because it says it can be used safely with IPM systems.... Which would be a real bonus for a chemical concious gardener like myself. Has anyone else heard of this?

what is IPM??

Neem is just oils from nuts I cant see it harming anything, shit you can drink the stuff and it wont hurt ya,

as far as lights go, turn them off let them cool thenm spray and then leave em off for 3 hours, then before you turn em on again wipe the bulb and bingo all done.

Are those moth killers a deterrent or attractant?  And do they attract and kill spider mite?

They are a slow release airborne pesticide, you just hang them up and let them do their job, they are designed to prevent more than cure so you may need a couple at first and don’t hang them near the fans as it wears them out to quick.

http://www.gamers-forums.com/smilies/contrib/ruinkai/coolgleamA.gif

Tom, do you know what the actual chem is in the things? I have 4 bewdiful kitties so as you can guess I'm very careful . (This coming from a guy who smokes weeds all day! ::P: :P ) I've been checking them, and whilst I got some very small, initial damage, you know how plants go slightly brown if they react to pesticides? Well, only tiny bits, and all the new growth is clean. I'm going to spot spray over 5 day periods to try eliminating these little buggers.

IPM is Integrated Pest Management. It's where you use multiple, usually organic or low impact methods to control insect infestations, usually in large scale greenhouse production of food crops like tomatoes. It includes predator insect introduction, companion and host plantings within the system, low impact insecticides such as eco oil or dipel (microbial insecticide, really cool way to keep caterpillars and other specified insects down without poisons.) as well as basic prevention and sometimes even fogging of plants at certain times to interrupt life cycles of pests, which makes them more susceptible to other methods. Like slowing the buggers down so when you release your predator bugs, it's like shooting fish in a barrel.

Whew, does that help? I really want to set up some kind of IPM sytem for us home growers, particularly small scale of 1 - 20 plants. Sort of like a if yes go to #7 if no go to #12 and so on, for each pest or disease problem we as small home growers may come across. While it may be more effective for those in an enclosed area, there would be applications to the outdoor natural grower....

What do you guys think? I'm being pestered by the missus to write a book on something, she says it's a shame to see my writing talent going down the drain.... I'm not quite as confident tho.... :D

Luke, The active ingredient is listed in that link in my earlier post, I have been using the wardrobe moth killers for some time and have not noticed any ill effects on my plants, I don't have any damage from pests either, I do take it out at flush time though.

Thanks tom, I checked it out the ToxFAQ for the stuff and it seems okay. Where in the room would you place them? Next to the plants? Or just anywhere in the room like in the top corner?

I'm going up the road in a mo and I'll get some. Thanks again mate. Any opinion on the IPM helper for small scale home growers? I just want to write something, dammit! Or maybe I should just go for a full blown book on all aspects of small scale indoor cultivation? So many of the books out there are either full of errors or so outdated as to be useles... lol

Where in the room would you place them? Next to the plants? Or just anywhere in the room like in the top corner?

I put mine in an area clear of any draughts from the fans, in a preventative situation I use one to cover 5' x 4' x 7'.

I haven't seen a lot of books but some of the other members may be able to help, there's a link to some books available through this site in my signature.