Hi there. I've brought my bbxww ladies inside, and they're doing well, just starting to put up new vegetative shoots. One plants in a perlite/expanded clay/growool media, and the other was just transferred into a bubbler yesterday. I've had a spider mite problem outdoors this year, can't do much to stop em, so consequently I've noticed the very beginnings of small infestations. Only a few, and only on a couple of leaves on each plant. I've used white oil in outdoor gardening to control this pest, and I've had pretty good results, but indoors is a different matter, yes? Normally the 400w hps is kept around 30cm away, but as I applied white oil I raised the lamp another 15cm, just to be sure. Is this about right? Could I be doing something else to reduce stress on the plants? One more query, then I'll leave you all alone... ::P: Is there anything else I can use aside from whiteoil to keep the plants insect free? I try to practice safe and organic methods whenever possible. There are no major poisons in my home, as I have kitties to think about. So please don't suggest anything harsh! Thanks. :D

Are those moth killers a deterrent or attractant? And do they attract and kill spider mite? Oh, and I have looked at neem too, but there's another product just recently out, called eco-oil. I'm interested in this product because it says it can be used safely with IPM systems.... Which would be a real bonus for a chemical concious gardener like myself. Has anyone else heard of this? :D

And does anyone have a response to the query about lamp heights after spraying? :P :P

I spray my plants as the lights go off, and this is just foliar feeding. But burns on the plant are only a real problem if you really soak it, which you aren't doing with white oil.

But yeah, isn't that stuff just petrol??? not very organic.....

In 1 house with a bad aphid infestations I have had to resort to either rogor or putting plants in the bin, but usually my cheap Pyrethrum, chilli and garlic spray from Woolworths keeps most early bug infestations at bay.

Also taking each plant into the shower with you is another good method for badly infested mother plants.

white_cluster Posted on May 28 2003, 02:53 AM

But yeah, isn't that stuff just petrol??? not very organic.....

Well, it is a byproduct of petroleum production, and while we may not think of it as such, it actually is organic in origin. Think about it. But I do see your point. There aren't any other pesticides out there I know of which have such a small withholding period and is of natural origin tho, aside from neem I suppose, and I haven't used that yet. Anyone know where to get a good quality, but moderately priced neem?

I have had to resort to either rogor
That's pretty nasty mate, are you sure that won't have some serious side effects if smoked? What's considered a safe withholding period for this stuff? What's the actual chemical? And pyrethrum will not kill spider mite. I know. I've tried. As to showering with them.... uh, I think I'll leave that to those botanophiles who take things too far.... :D ::P: Just kidding. How strong a blast of water can they handle?

Thanks for the reply. :P

I have had to resort to either rogor
That's pretty nasty mate, are you sure that won't have some serious side effects if smoked? What's considered a safe withholding period for this stuff? What's the actual chemical? And pyrethrum will not kill spider mite. I know. I've tried. As to showering with them.... uh, I think I'll leave that to those botanophiles who take things too far.... :D ::P: Just kidding. How strong a blast of water can they handle?

I dunno the side effects, but it is used on food crops and is still on the market. It certaintly works anyway, plants we're sprayed like 3 weeks before flowering and I'm pretty sure I harvested way after the with-holding period was over.

I can't go check it, cos I'm moving in 3 weeks and all that shit is packed up somwhere. But yeah, was a silly thing to do without knowledge of whether its safe or not. I didn't have the internet then and all growers I knew grew outside so I had no-one to ask. Probably could have rung up poisons information but oh well, I've smoked it all a long time ago. No side effects so far....

As for the showering, it is good shit, works good. You can't do it in mid to late flowering of course but in veg it is great, they take a normal shower strength with any of the shitty pumps my houses have had. But yeah, its not a great method I guess, many better methods out there, I tend to be strapped for cash, but how fucking organic is that!!!! killing bugs with water while your naked.