Tenancy database-Rental issues after charges are laid

Have you contacted www.tuv.org.au yet. We have a similar service here in NSW which goes into bat for tenants. They have in the past had some success in assisting people in removing their name from the T.I.C.A list (an effective blacklist of tenants in Australia and NZ).java script:add_smilie(":D","smid_25")

In terms of you guy's seeking rental accommodation have you tried public housing. Again in NSW if you can provide evidence to the Dept of Housing proving that you are unable to secure accommodation in the private rental market (i.e photocopies of the properties you have been unsuccessful, with............the magic number...unspoken of course....seems to be around the 30 mark)you can apply for priority housing.There is also community housing which normally has the same criteria as government housing.

Lastly again in NSW there are services that can help people like yourselves find housing. These services are normally funded by govt run by ngo's (I have heard alot about the Brotherhood of St Laurence unsure what they have although if they can't help I sure they can refer you to someone who can....plus the seem to be the bigger NGO's in VIC.) .

Hope this can be of help.....I realise your not in NSW but from someone who has worked in the area of public housing/homelessness Victoria appears to have some really good programs(on paper anyhow!!!).

Good luck.

Guys thank you for all your advice, we have already been down these roads and no one has power over this database. TUV are angry about it, but have actually done nothing to get the thing removed, that would take a trip to the Federal or High court in order to have the database completely removed, and they are not that angry about the thing.

I have contacted all the charities, all the people who have emergency housing etc, there is nothing they can do this state is worse than I believed. There are now so many people who are actually living in their cars or on steps of buildings etc, the charities can only give out blankets, or sleeping bags for those who do have any.

Everyone has said that what was put against our name is the very worst thing that they could have done. If it had been for any other reason we would have far more chance, But Criminal purpose leaves people with the worst possible ideas in someone's mind. I have reminded lightning that they would not necessarily think drugs and if they did they would think we were some big dealers, not that we were growing a few plants for personal.

Lightning has just managed to get time with a lawyer so lets hope he comes back with good news, I have to be here for the High court and the postie as we hope to be going into town to copy and bind the book 13 times for the High court.

As much as I appreciate your thoughts and concern, and understand that most of you are interstate, you need to understand that we are really facing a hell, when we had to live in the caravan (that now sounds like luxury) we got so sick, and ended up in so much pain it has taken until about 3 months ago, well over a year to recover. Not to mention the fact that we will be attending the high court having very little sleep, in so much pain we will not be able to think.

Have any of you got an idea of the fear that brings about, we have spent 2.6 years on this we have got it this far with a state government who is buckling under the pressure, to end up loosing because of no sleep etc.

So if I get a bit annoyed at some people, or I seem to be angry, please know I am frightened, and we both feel very alone.

There have been 6 people who have in all this time, helped from this site, of how many members? The one's who have helped are the very people who really cannot afford to do so. It appears those who make all the songs and dances about these laws, Nimbin and Canna community, are doing just that singing and dancing. No wonder these laws have stayed in place for so long, the growers do not want them gone, might just take away some of their profit.

Personally any grower wanting to have a shot back, please do, any one from Nimbin go ahead, but first tell me what you have actually achieved in 70 years.

I am angry, I am also very hurt and disappointed, I genuinely believed that everyone who uses would welcome the chance at freedom, my bad I was wrong.

THANKYOU raven! You could save their life and the 'erb!

On a dark note.

Yes this is disgusting. CUMMON PEOPLE! I guarantee you that 80% of the people on here have SOME money. 10% have A LOT of money, and only 10% have none. Yet only what 5-6? people have donated. We should have everyone that visits these boards doing something. Writing politicians, offering advice/support if you have no money. Donating money if you have it. Even the commercial growers on here must feel sorry for these guys (and I doubt there's many of them).

So by my calculations, 99% of the people on here are heartless bastards.

Ok I posted a comment here and I urge all of you to do the same, it's the last you can do. Any website possible. News, social networking sites etc.

http://inteldaily.disqus.com/how_serious_i...omment-10374067

Copy that comment or write your own similar version.

Edited by luciddreaming

I just found this and again have tried to get in touch with the NTD to get them to remove what is on there.

Media Release: Tenancy database operator breaches the Privacy Act

View printable version of this page

Fed Privacy Commissioners report

19/4/04

Federal Privacy Commissioner, Malcolm Crompton has issued four complaint determinations that enhance tenants' privacy rights by ensuring that records about their tenancy history are accurate, up to date and can be accessed for a reasonable fee.

"Having a home is a very fundamental right and therefore it's very important that all tenancy database operators have exemplary information handling practices," said Mr Crompton.

"If the rental sector believes that databases are an important tool then it's essential that they are reliable. If they are not accurate this could have negative results for both landlords and tenants."

The Federal Privacy Commissioner has found that TICA Default Tenancy Control Pty Ltd, which operates one of Australia's largest tenancy databases, has breached the Privacy Act and has ordered its operators to rectify their information handling practices.

The breaches of the Privacy Act relate to TICA over-charging for access to information they hold, not taking reasonable steps to keep information they hold accurate and up to date and holding some information for too long.

"It's not appropriate that people be charged excessive amounts to access information a database operator holds about them or that decisions about whether or not a person can rent a home are based on out of date and inaccurate information," Mr Crompton said.

"Two ministerial councils (Standing Committee of Attorneys-General and Ministerial Council on Consumer Affairs) are currently reviewing tenancy laws in Australia. I think the determinations will provide the councils with significant input to whether existing protections for tenants' personal information are adequate.

"This has been a complex matter to investigate and I appreciate the co-operation demonstrated by all parties, including TICA, in reaching a resolution to the matter.

"The determinations are important reminders to all organisations that handle sensitive information about anyone who rents a home in Australia that they must treat the information with care and in full accordance with the federal Privacy Act."

The Federal Privacy Commissioner has found that TICA has breached the federal Privacy Act by:

* Charging an excessive amount for people to access their tenancy record by mail (Determination 1)

* Charging an excessive amount for people to access their tenancy record by telephone (Determination 1)

* Failing to have appropriate agreements in place with members to ensure data quality (Determination 2)

* Failing to have appropriate measures in place to check the quality of data supplied by members (Determination 2)

* Failing to advise tenants that they have been listed on the database (Determination 2)

* Failing to have appropriate and effective dispute resolution procedures in place (Determination 2)

* Failing to keep personal information accurate and up to date (Determination 3)

* Failing to destroy or de-identify personal information that is no longer needed for any other purpose (Determination 3)

* Failing to take reasonable steps to ensure tenants are aware what personal information will be collected, to which organisation it will be disclosed and that individuals can gain access to the information (Determination 4)

The Commissioner has ordered TICA to cease and not repeat the practices outlined in his four determinations. He has also issued a number of recommendations that TICA may wish to implement to remedy their information handling practices including that TICA:

* Do not charge tenants excessive amounts to access their information via mail or phone services (Determination 1)

* Develop a detailed description of all listing categories in consultation with my Office (Determination 2)

* Ensure that database members are aware of and use the newly defined listing categories (Determination 2)

* Ensure tenants have access to the listing categories (Determination 2)

* Allow tenants to place comments on files where they dispute the reasons for which they were listed (Determination 2)

* Continue to conduct weekly random checks of the information they hold (Determination 2)

* Commission an independent audit of the accuracy of the information in their databases (Determination 2)

* Ensure members advise tenants when they have had an adverse listing placed on their file (Determination 2)

* Develop an adequate dispute resolution system (Determination 2)

* Delete information when it is no longer needed (Determination 3)

* Develop new collection forms that clearly spell out what personal will be collected, to which organisation it will be disclosed to and that individuals can gain access to the information (Determination 4).

The complete determinations are available @ Determination

Okay so there was about 7 people or so reading this topic just 10 minutes ago. None of them replied. Awesome.

Cummon ijustdontcare, I know you care :D

You've been reading this thread for a while, you're the last one left. Cummon mate! Do your thing for the Cannabis culture.

Edited by luciddreaming

lucid, I guess that would prove what I have been saying for well over 2 years now, there is no genuine desire for these laws to be removed, by the users of this country. They are either making too much money from the illegality of the herb, or they are afraid, either way while that attitude continues nothing can change.

I used to believe that Aussies were made of better stuff, and that they would never allow Governments to become this corrupt, but I guess those men and women are either too old, or already dead.

There has always been a lot of talk on here and Nimbin's web site, but now we all know it is nothing but talk, they are not willing to support anyone who may just get these laws removed, they enjoy the status quo, it must make them feel important, and perhaps they feel they will not have the same power over people if the law is no longer.

Whatever their reason, it disgusts me.

Thank you for your support, there are so few of you and each are really appreciated. :D