Hi all,

Tom has asked me to post on a trial I am about to do using "green lacewings" for bug control in my garden.

Some of you I'm sure are quite familar with our friend the spider mite, I have on previous occassions used predator mites as a means to rid these with good success. I had then sourced them thru my local hydro shop was around $45 per 5000. problem I had with them is that they were only viable for that crop, and all died when subsequent harvest.

I still have mite probs but control early with neem oil .

I have a mate who has ordered some lacewings and has far to many so is sending excess to me.

the larvae of this bug is the killer he feeds on aphids mainly but will also eat whitefly,spidermites and thrips.

the adult fly only has a short life and will lay up to 600 eggs,recommended rate is 5 larva/plant for a preventive treat or up to 100/sqm for bad infestations.

I have 2 sites that might be of interest, the 1st is an o/s site so you have to click on language to view in English. www.koppert.com/

and the other is an Oz site that supplies all these lovely little critters

Bugs

I will do follow up repts in this thread with some pics if I can manage

Thanks rodwal, it will be interesting to see how it all works out and it could save some of our members a bit of worry.

problem I had with them is that they were only viable for that crop, and all died when subsequent harvest.

Would it be possible to keep a small community of them alive in the mother plant cabinet?

http://www.gamers-forums.com/smilies/contrib/ruinkai/coolgleamA.gif

Thanks rodwal, it will be interesting to see how it all works out and it could save some of our members a bit of worry.

problem I had with them is that they were only viable for that crop, and all died when subsequent harvest.

Would it be possible to keep a small community of them alive in the mother plant cabinet?

http://www.gamers-forums.com/smilies/contrib/ruinkai/coolgleamA.gif

Dont they starve because there is no more food.

I've tried predator mites and the war was fun, but that crop was well and truly fucked in the first place, I think most of the predators probably ended up going through my exhausts too.

Do you guys know if rogor is smokable?? If not I guess cancer is on its way.