Single Policy Marijuana Party for Queensland?

Hi Lightning. Some good suggestions there mate. Unfortunately we can't use them. Got that registration info on friday when I went out to my block and spent the weekend perusing it. One of the requirements is that any party name or abbreviation not be identical or even similar to an existing public body. Which probably means even LMP would be out.

Hi Seasalt. I noticed the links had failed but didn't have time to work out the fault or correct it. Sorry about that. Dalby literally shuts down over xmas and new year. I'm currently using the only public terminal available in town. It broke down yesterday after a storm came through the other night.

I wouldn't want to divide up voter support but I'd much prefer a 'legalise cannabis' stance personally. If you guys only want Hemp strains legalised then that presents a problem. You were here first after all.

To be honest I've found the whole process of registering a party quite challenging and fun. Yet I'm still in need of more information. I'm not even certain a party has to be registered to endorse candidates for an election and there are a lot of hoops to jump through for what seems comparatively little in return. I was going to email the ECQ today concerning some catch 22 situations I'd observed in regards to notifications and pre-selection ballots. A lot of information is missing from the guide booklet they sent me. It would be great if I could find some other people to team up with on this.

I was considering a single page ad in the courier mail to attract members but not many people actually read newspapers anymore. Television might be a better avenue. It would cost me a weeks pay or more but I could probably cover a 30 second ad, once. I was also planning to email a number of celebrities known to be supportive of legalisation in an attempt to garner some publicity and possibly some well known future candidates.

Hemp is already growing up here in Queensland. I've seen fields of it on my way to town. It made me furious when the Government started trials in areas obviously unsuitable like dry arid zones. The stuff has been grown commercially for 10,000 years and was the number one legal cash crop in the US right up until the 1937 Marijuana Tax Act. So what the hell did we need to trial it for??? Stupid!

I'll check out those links. Thanks for replying mate. Incidentally, I just bought up a few more domain names. LegaliseCannabisParty.Com, Org, Net and Info. There are several Legalise Cannabis Parties and Legalise Marijuana Parties using those exact names so its strange that nobody else has thought to register them. I now own both sets. Useful for type in traffic and good for search engines once they are found by webcrawlers. I just spent an hour and a half redirecting all of my 118 domains to LegaliseCannabis.Com which in turn goes to this discussion.

Help End Marijuana Prohibition(HEMP). That's a clever abbreviation but the name HEMP Party suggests you are only interested in legalising Hemp strains. An assumption I myself made and have previously stated. Many recreational users aren't going to be interested in Hemp legalisation. I think that is going to cost you a lot of votes.

Edited by Wayne Smith

I learned a few years ago(to my horror) that people were far more interested in personalities than projects. It seems to be a part of the human psyche to seek out idols and worship them. 'Peace Day' for instance would never have gotten anywhere without Angelina Jolie and Jude Law having taken up the cause. The instant that happened the media couldn't keep away for a second. They were like a cloud of blowflies hovering over the entire campaign.

Politics is nothing more than a popularity contest. Surely there are some well known personalities looking for something meaningful in their lives over here in Australia. They already have money and fame. Attaching themselves to a movement dedicated to freedom of choice and an end to this senseless prohibition would certainly fill that sort of void.

Over at the UK Legalise Cannabis Alliance I just suggested they try contacting Jasper Carrott OBE. His book 'High Society' revealed his interest in legalisation of all drugs and he is certainly both a well respected and intelligent individual. I've always felt that comedians would make excellent politicians.

Pamela Anderson wants marijuana to be legalised

The former 'Baywatch' star has written an open letter to US President-elect Barack Obama, outlining ways to make the country better. Pamela believes cultivating the illegal substance would "save children" and help the environment.

She wrote on her official blog: "I think we should legalise marijuana, tax and monitor - farm hemp etc. This would make our borders less corrupt and then I think eventually this will be a more secure option and save children in the long run - we should be able to farm hemp in America - it's just silly. It would create jobs and be good for the environment."

It would be nice if we lived in a world where the most intelligent and rational speakers won elections but history has demonstrated that the real attention goes to celebrities. In fact the next President of the United States is also unarguably a celebrity and that's why he won.

By the way, I just sent Pamela an email. Sure, it's a long shot. But the effort cost nothing.

Subject: Legalising Cannabis.

Email: wayne@legalisecannabis.com

Would Pamela be interested in helping to promote Cannabis reform in Australia? We are creating a new state political party in queensland called the Legalise Cannabis Party.

All the best,

Wayne Smith.

Hopefully the webmeisters will pass it along the chain of staff. Now to try a few hundred others.

Edited by Wayne Smith

By the way, I just sent Pamela an email. Sure, it's a long shot. But the effort cost nothing.

Fuck no! No one would take her seriously. What were you thinking?

edit: I can't see what an American B grade actress famous for her tits is going to add to cannabis law reform in Queensland. If you must approach celebrities at least can they be Australian and capable of completing a sentence.

Edited by freddie

So, essentially what your saying is forget about scientific studies to support the legalisation argument and enlist a handful of well chosen media tarts with rugged smiles or big boobs to make use of the same propaganda machine as the Prohibitionists, to turn the mob around with their own brand of gobbledygook?

That's the smartest plan of attack I've read in a long time.

Good to see your email to Pammy was short with not many big words, the only thing that would have gotten more laughs from me was if you'd asked "Would Pamela be interested in helping to promote Cannabis reform in Australia to help save the children here?" But hey, I'm not complaining, that idea is gold.

Top marks Wayne Smith, I enjoy reading your posts.

What were you thinking?

There is no such thing as bad publicity. Anything that gets people talking is good. I'm not fussy. I'll take any celebrity at this point. Even Paris Hilton and don't tell me she hasn't been acquainted with a water pipe. Besides, whats wrong with Pamela? She has certainly lived and she was gutsy enough to write a letter to the president knowing the media would savage her over it.

Scientific studies haven't achieved much for us over the last 70 years have they. Because nobody is listening. This is war and its time we dragged out the big guns so we can be heard.

Assuming we can find any celebs willing to participate.

http://www.myspace.com/legalisecannabisparty

Unfortunately 'legalisecannabis' was taken.

Thanks for the image Dragonfan.

10 Celebrity Potheads that Might Surprise You

http://img380.imageshack.us/img380/3580/bradpitthw1.jpg

There's 10 for me to start with. I have to go eat something. They don't have to be Australian to help us if they want to. Nationality is only important for voting and becoming candidates. Ofcourse it would be nice if a few aussie celebs did want to stand for parliament. Might try a few local comedians.

There is no such thing as bad publicity

That's a silly cliche. Of course there's such thing as bad publicity. Negative publicity. What makes you think Pamela Anderson is going to help change Queenslanders views on cannabis? I think this would do more harm than good.

Scientific studies haven't achieved much for us over the last 70 years have they. Because nobody is listening. This is war and its time we dragged out the big guns so we can be heard.

Scientific studies have played their part in law reform in America, especially medical marijuana being available in some states. Maybe you should look at what they did in some of the American states.

Sorry but this is becoming a circus.

Aren't we just throwing ideas around here fred, sorry there was no tongue in cheek icon to click on but you have to see the point Wayne Smith is trying to illustrate surely?

If Peter Garrett wasn't such a Labor Party bitch he would have been perfect. Hands up who's seen Peter Garrett smoking pot? Where's that hands up icon?

Good example of a popular media figure gaining election, who in their right minds would vote for a baldy headed ex rock star? Especially the way he used to dance?..... but people did.

Who would get more hits on their web page Condolisa Rice or Paris Hilton? If both of them opened their mouths and started talking at the same time, who would the people turn there heads to listen to?

I think your overestimating the intelligence of the masses fred, they're not that bright really.