Snakes Alive!

Seems that I see snakes where ever I go up here so Ive started this thread to help us all identify all the different type of snakes in Australia. If your planning on walking through the bush take your camera because your more than likely to come across a few yourself. Post them here!

I came across two this morning both within meters of each other on the way to my patch.

post-12771-1229037362_thumb.jpgpost-12771-1229038073_thumb.jpgpost-12771-1229038347_thumb.jpg

Anyone know what they are?

These snakes are really good at camouflaging themselves. A few times Ive been within two feet of them and only at the last minute do they let me know they're there by lifting their head in the defensive position. Fuckers! Even when you are looking right at them you cant see them sometimes and Ive got pretty good vision.

This is the other one

post-12771-1229037857_thumb.jpg

Not really sure from those photos.

I must say I'm a little jealous, I regularly go looking for reptiles and lately I have been fairly unsuccessful.

Thank you for showing them respect and not killing them like some assholes do.

I'll throw up some pics a little later (pet snakes are much easier to find).

This is a Small Eyed Snake

Commonly mistaken as an immature Red Bellied Black Snake.

The Small Eyed Snake has a red belly, but the scales are much smaller and the head has a distinctly different scale pattern than the Red Bellied Black Snake.. As the name suggests Small Eyed Snakes have very small eyes, the Red Bellied Black Snake has noticeably larger eyes.

They are poisonous though not generally regarded as fatal. Most books I have read say only to worry if bitten by a rather large specimen. A friend of mine has been bitten by one and compared the symptoms to a very nasty wasp sting.

post-15017-1229047726_thumb.jpg

post-15017-1229048982_thumb.jpg

post-15017-1229049070_thumb.jpg