Restoring the Balance - (title of an old triple J program)

I LOVE WEED

I love smoking, i dont really get that many oppurtunities to do it though. I smoke about 1 once a month if im lucky usually with close bloke mates or a female friend before sexy times. IM MORE ADDICTED TO GROWING, growing is so soothing.

I also love this website. Reading countless post on this site had swayed me from not sure if weed is harmless to im positive its harmless and its a crime that its not legal.

A NEGETIVE ANOCDOTE GOT ME THINKING

I was discussing my views with my brother who had a personal account of weed that differed from mine. His was mainly negetive, he didnt enjoy weed like his friends did he was one of those people with whom it didnt agree with. His friends began to become the school stoners, he noticed that some of his friends (group of blokes in total) could smoke seamily all day everyday and cope fine, while he noticed that other blokes in the group were affected much worse. One of his friends in particular had a mental episode that was probably coincidental but in this anocdont was put down to the weed.

Now i understand that anocdotes are worthless. But i respected my brothers opinion enough to decide to dig a little deeper.

MY RESEARCH METHOD

Im fortunite enough to have access to most online science journals - no not the popular science mags like new scientest and crap.

Im talking the data bases of published experimental results and lit reviews from uni's around the world. the type you get off scholar.google. they usually cost about $20-30 for a 8-20 page report.

I began to read some of the literature surrounding th general effects of weed on various groups of people. Most articles are quite objective or even conducted by pHD students with a passion for weed.

ITS NOT ALL PROPOGANDA

Remember online science journals thrive on accurate reporting. Having had to go through the process of getting a piece of work published i understand how objective, free from influence, and statistically sound something has to be to get into a private journal.

Im mentioning this because alot of stoners brush off alot of negetive literature as "propoganda". Its like the text book response. Like the catholics put everything down to GOD.

Also my GF has a phD in psych and was able to assist in my interpretation of some difficult reading.

MY VERDICT

After my research i have decided that weed isnt as harmless as most people on this site would have you beleive. In essence it is reletively harmless but there are dangers associated with its use. There is strong evidence that some people in a given population may suffer long term side effects from moderate use.

I think adults should have the free will to make the decision to take these risks or not.

But if it was legal people may automatically form the opinion that it must be harmless just because it is legal.

and lets face it mainstream people are pretty dumb.

I therefore, and this will sure to get people on this site going, support the current legal status of marijuana in australia.

Really no one that i no of has ever been in significant trouble for personal quanities. the only people who have anything to worry about in Aus are commercial growers, and these people should be all for prohibition because without it they would be out of business.

Two plants outdoors never got anyone in alot of trouble.

Danoz adding some balance to the opinions on this site

PS IF anyone is interested in discussing the pysch effects of weed use i would love my GF to explain - she loves weed and can offer an excellent objective opinion. i was worried it would bore people.

Thanks for that, Danoz.

I would like a spiel from your GF if she has time, as i have not yet understood all the dangers and depths associated with cannabis.

I have Schizophrenia in the family, so i can not smoke this beautiful herb any more (except the odd occasion). But like you stated earlier, i absolutely love growing Cannabis, it is very rewarding, "soothing" and can keep you occupied for hours on end. It's also extremely interesting to learn about, in all aspects.

One question, i read that schizophrenia in males comes on between ages 20-28. Obviously you have a decreased chance when past these estimated ages. Would smoking Cannabis after these ages still effect you as severely as before and between them? Or does the chance of developing Schizophrenia decrease?

Cheers,

samboo

You should probably define in which context you use "Harmless".

There is never strong evidence, that proves something is harmful or harmless.

For example a pharmaceutical co. may release a product that has been determined (scientifically or not) as "Harmless".

Then people start dropping dead in the street, after making millions in sales, its determined that the cause is this drug was determined as "Harmless".

So its widthdrawn, taken of the self. They then figure out what else they can use this drug for, and release it later for the treatment of baldness.

Its all joke.

I'm not really interested in your GF Phd. of indoctrinated bullshit.

There is so much BS in the world. Whatever the reasons to further regulate or control the masses such as;

1) for your best interest

2) for your own safety

3) for your welfare.

4) Because we care.

When you wake up to the fact that it is just a smoke screen, and those are NEVER the reasons.

You don't matter, you never did.

Its high level self and corporate interest and corrupt individuals who seek to benefit.

You might want to consider looking at the spice rack in your supermarket, they aren't all "as harmless as most people" would have you believe.

One thing you can be sure of, and its been said over and over for decades by advocates of cannabis and those against the "war on drugs".

Legalization of drugs is more "harmful" to the massive profit driven and power grabbing system of corrupt parasites than any harm the drug itself.

So if legalization harms this parasites, then I'm all for it.

Have you seen my face.

Thanks for that, Danoz.

I would like a spiel from your GF if she has time, as i have not yet understood all the dangers and depths associated with cannabis.

I have Schizophrenia in the family, so i can not smoke this beautiful herb any more (except the odd occasion). But like you stated earlier, i absolutely love growing Cannabis, it is very rewarding, "soothing" and can keep you occupied for hours on end. It's also extremely interesting to learn about, in all aspects.

One question, i read that schizophrenia in males comes on between ages 20-28. Obviously you have a decreased chance when past these estimated ages. Would smoking Cannabis after these ages still effect you as severely as before and between them? Or does the chance of developing Schizophrenia decrease?

Cheers,

samboo

2months on it then 2months off then 2 on and so on = every week is a great week.......any more then 2months on brings on the skitzo buzz..............in me anyway

I honestly thought i would be abused for this thread but i honestly just wanted to share my thoughts and offer a balance of opinion for the good of the site.

Loggerking thats very honest of you to post that it kinda supports my contention

Sambo ill show her your post but sounds like you may wanna discuss this with someone

NO face your sign offs always make me giggle a little "have u seen my face" and the other u did "no facce just an avatar"

Dude that was a rant of absolute BS in my opinion and ive herd this talk all before in response.

Corporate funded medical research is a double edged sword. THeoretically its not completely objective science due to the financial interest of the shareholders. But u cant argue it has produced useful products, remember profitable companies cant remain that way if they kill people.

SECONDLY Im not talking about corporate medical research that isnt freely available anyway because its PRIVATELY FUNDED ahahaha why would a drug company spend millions on private research and then publish it in an online database. Im talking about research from universities and such that ends up on online data bases of published journals. these journals have very very very strict standards and there success depends on the accuracy of the data they distribute. it was these highly credible sources that i used to form my opinion.

In reply to ur Indoctrination quote - Science knowns nothing, science is only a method to an answer, not a bank of knowledge in itself. the only person indoctrinated is you.

Edited by danoz

cannabis like any drug has negative effects on some people, all if you include side effects like becoming a little more lazy, eating more food because of the munchies and the end result is gaining a few extra kilos...posible side effects of cannabis now include weight gain :whistle:

the point like a few people and many more to come will make is that cannabis is a safe drug compared to most, if not every single drug in the world. if you exclude human actions like driving while under the influence, cannabis has never killed a single person in over 6000 years of use. the same can't be said of any other drug and feel free to prove us wrong on that if you can...

but to keep things on topic, based on what i assume is a health related approach to keeping cannabis illegal, would you agree that the 2 biggest legal killers that anyone over 18 can buy should be illegal as well? alcohol causes crazy amounts of voilence, deaths, can kill you in a single sitting if you have too much and if you want to get technical accidental life has been created as well hehehe tobacco on the other hand causes short term pleasure and long term pain, misery and suffering....in the grand scheme of things if cannabis were to be given an equal chance of gaining legality you can be damn sure it would be legalized and taxed to high hell

I LOVE WEED

I think adults should have the free will to make the decision to take these risks or not.

But if it was legal people may automatically form the opinion that it must be harmless just because it is legal.

Danoz based on your research methods I would like to know how strongly you feel about Alcohol, Tobacco, Coffee and prescription medication?

To support the current legal status is to support prohibition and any dumb mainstream person (me) can see that prohibition is supporting not only commercial growers but police forces, prisons, lawyers etc etc people who have a vested interest in making money from cannabis being illegal.

I do not support full legalisation as I and many other members are aware of the risks involved in using cannabis, as benign as they are. I am in support of law reform and an introduction of equality in law when deaing with alcohol and cannabis. Control and regulation based on facts. Social sanctions are already in place for cannabis and there is no evidence that this would change.

Perhaps you could reference those articles that allowed you to come to your beliefs? They sound very much like something America’s anti-cannabis crusader Dr Gabriel Nahas would write. (exposed as a fraud) and why did you need to point out how special your research papers were? Even us dumb mainstream people can find factual well researched information.

It's hard not to be pissed off with someone who supports the CURRENT LEGAL STATUS, I suggest you do some more research and try and make an educated decision

http://www.beckleyfoundation.org/librarycontents.html

http://www.ukcia.org/research/researchsearch.php

Edit: Just to add danoz, I found some research information that is really factual because it's on a data base no one else can look at and costs a lot, it's priceless even. It says prohibition causes mental health issues and kills people.

Edited by entheofarm

I agree with most of what danoz says accept the support for the current legal status. i also think that some of the evidence against pot in the media has been overstated, especially compared to alcohol.

The current legal and social status of pot has a harmful effect on users, both physically and mentally. Pot users are becoming more excluded from participating in society. Many jobs require drug testing (regardless of whether you are stoned on the job or not); some occupations exclude those with a criminal record. The negative press reports turn society against pot users and also erode the self esteem of users and the very fact that it is illegal forces many to people to be cautious of any personal interaction (due to security worries). All this has a nasty effect on a persons mental condition. The more people are excluded from normal everyday interactions the worse their mental health will be. The biggest problem with psychology today is that it tends to ignore these social aspects.

I'm pretty sure that if you research countries or states where cannabis is decriminalised you will find no increase in usage. A lot of people will take drugs because the are illegal. Its a rebellion thing.

I would be interested in you posting something more detailed.

Ofcourse, a pro-cannabis forum is going to be biased leading people to believe it is less harmful than it is. However, after seeing first hand the effects of painkillers and alcohol on people I'd have to say it is a lot less harmful than pretty much any other drug I have encountered. As a student of Economics and Business I'd have to say there is a huge political and corporate influence in the maintenance of Marijuana as an illegal drug and Alcohol and other much more potent drugs as the opposite.

On the other hand, I can see the huge costs of Marijuana legalization. Through college I watched many students miss out on class and drop out of school altogether partly because of their use of Marijuana. Whether this was because of laziness and they just happened to smoke marijuana is a different debate. Anyways you can see where this would go if legalization was permitted.

Lastly, I think it's noble of you to show the other side of our arguments but I think that facts show the plant does more good than harm.