DIY Vaporizer - free, easy and effective

Thanx for sharing your method with us Vaporman.

For someone who seems genuinely concerned about your health I would look into stainless steel cookware instead of alloy , If your using an electric element to heat it I would also be watching my pans very very carefully as cheap pans in particular can have the element burn right trough the pot if it's empty

Personally I am a bong user , I have tried lots of types of vapes and tbh find the best results come when you have complete control over the temperature , to the extent that I believe you can get a completely different high using a different temp range. As far as quick easy to use vapes go my personal favorites are the Vaporstar and Vaporgenie. The amount of butane left as a trace after passing through the heated area is next to none , and provided you use the two vapes mentioned properly only the very very tip of the flame drops in anyways.

The information quoted about inhalation of butane is not false but it is directly relating to heavy use ( people huffing pure UN-heated butane) , not just using a lighter to heat a vape or lighting a cigarette for example.

No worries Pure.

The saucepan should definately be stainless steel. Not only is it the safest saucepan you can use (arguably safer than iron cookware since it can't rust), but it is very light as well. I used a stainless steel saucepan in my vape.

I recently purchased a $3 stainless steel oven thermometer from kmart, placed it in the saucepan and tested it out (without any weed, but i will test it with weed this weekend). The temperature steadily increased the longer the saucepan stayed on the flame. It took about 2 minutes to reach 200 degrees C. And there is about a 30-60 second lag (as the thermometer is being heated by conduction, as only the part of it that is touching the saucepan is heated by it and that heat has to then spread to the rest of the thermometer). So you have to play around with the flame level until the thermometer is stable at 180 degrees. Then you can add the weed). So, if it works, this $3 thermometer should make this vaporizer just as good as any vape you buy in terms of temp control. Price wise and convenience wise I would imagine it would be a better choice, as it is just a number of cooking tools.

Regarding the VaporGenie, I've never tried it or seen it up close. How long must the flame be applied to the flame filter while you inhale?

The sites I mentioned didn't specify that butane must be inhaled for a long period of time. They also didn't mention that it must be heated. One of the short term effects mentioned was "Sudden Sniffing Death syndrome" which can occur the very first time you inhale an inhalant (butane is an inhalant).

I suppose the issue is how long is the person spending inhaling the butane in a lighter flame while using the VaporGenie. Is the length of time spent, equivalent to huffing (since huffing can take a matter of seconds). The manufacturers already state that butane is inhaled, so the realistic question would be "how long does a person spend inhaling while the lighter is on?"

Regarding the VaporGenie, I've never tried it or seen it up close. How long must the flame be applied to the flame filter while you inhale?

The flame never contacts the filter. It hovers about a cm above it. The flame never goes inside the chamber even. If it does you pretty much cook the weed. Temperature is controlled by flicking the flame backwards and forward above the top; the tip of the flame sometimes just goes insede. Its hard to describe unless you actually do it. I had assumed all the butane would be burned and it never occurred to me that tiny amounts might be inhaled. I'm willing to bet you get less butane inhaled than you would smoking a bong. I have lit the genie using a candle before and I'm going back to this method while I sort out getting a volcano. Hope there's nothing deadly in candle flame!!!!

Thanks for pointing out the potential butane dangers. lol

However, as Pure pointed out I think you've exaggerated the harm caused by the humble genie.

The sites I mentioned didn't specify that butane must be inhaled for a long period of time. They also didn't mention that it must be heated. One of the short term effects mentioned was "Sudden Sniffing Death syndrome" which can occur the very first time you inhale an inhalant (butane is an inhalant).

I suppose the issue is how long is the person spending inhaling the butane in a lighter flame while using the VaporGenie. Is the length of time spent, equivalent to huffing (since huffing can take a matter of seconds). The manufacturers already state that butane is inhaled, so the realistic question would be "how long does a person spend inhaling while the lighter is on?"

You would of course need to test the air itself to know for sure but if it was a damaging amount of butane you should feel short bursts of a butane buzz which simply doesn't happen . Infact to get a buzz off of a ligher you pretty much have to stick the thing in your mouth for 10 -15 seconds, With the flame burning off most of the Butane though nowhere near the same amount will get to you.

" Sudden Sniffing Death Syndrome " Is something I find amusing for a cannabis smoker to put too much weight into and relating it to the masses ,Do you also believe that a single toke of cannabis can send you insane because for a very very small percentage it can ?

The fraction of people that actually fall victom to Sudden Sniffing Death Syndrome is very very low and tbh in quite a few of the cases it's not that it's the first time for the person it's just the first time the family has heard anything and to protect the person that has passed it's labled as a one time thing.

Because butane is used as a drug your going to be able to find countless scare papers that will outline the dangers as near certainties much like with anything else it's . You, yourself simply have to reasearch what they say independently and find out just how likely risks are to occour

Do you also believe that a single toke of cannabis can send you insane because for a very very small percentage it can ?

A single toke of cannabis is unlikely to make you insane. The only statements I've ever read regarding insanity requires that the user is a heavy user and that they either have existing psychotic problems or a history of psychotic problems runs in their family.

Pure, I simply put information relating to butane in my post, I never stated that a single hit of vaporgenie, or even long term use of vaporgenie will cause you to become intoxicated from butane.

I put information about the dangers of butane because people should make informed decisions when deciding whether or not to use any product.

Maybe the butane from the vaporgenie is neglegible? I don't know, and I doubt anyone does, unless they have tested it out with the right equipment. That's a fact that can't be argued against based on "experience using the vaporgenie" especially considering that butane is colourless and odorless.

That's why I wrote that the x factor that a we would need to find out is how much butane you are inhaling from the vaporgenie.

My best wishes to anyone who wants to use, or uses, the vaporgenie.

(ie there is a very odd looking lightbulb method that only an idiot or a junky would use), others looked too complicated.

who are you calling an idiot or junky vaporman, i did a thread on one of these "junky vaps" a while ago, firstly why would a junky bother making one of these, they would not have the time or patience, secondly i am not an idiot but rather open to any ideas for smoking my favourite herb, thirdly i think you should think before you use some words dude, i am a smoker/grower for 25 years or so and take offence to being called a junky or an idiot.

How is this technique going... I need some serious stealth, and health considerations are a positive also, this looks like a winner? Sure it's low class and all that - I don't really care - I need to minimise body, breath and smoke smell and to be able to control dosage well, and use supplies efficiently. I am am a very occasional stealth user, not a professional.

I would appreciate feedback from anyone who has tried this technique.

Any difficult to remove residue or marks from the saucepan?

Could an oil burner be used? Yeah I know a bit strange and all that, just thinking of stealth shots.. I.e. sprinkle some very finely ground gear in to the oil burner bowl, go for it, and then fill it full of water and nice smelling oils... All good, no one needs to know, on the down low :-)

I don't know if a tea light candle could obtain the required temperature unlike the saucepan method though, which seems to be 180 degrees. That's very hot. Hence I suppose requiring a gas stove on medium.

I can't wait to try this next week.