Never seen this before.."bizarre deformations"

xserrurier here. Thank you all for your responses.

Okay, some history: Paradise Seeds, planted indoors in Nov '02 (sprouted 24 Nov), they not only grew but EXPLODED from the pot once started... giant leaves/thick stalks and branches, cloned beginning Feb '03 - 3 cuttings from each of 7 plants, clones rooted in 24 hours (gotta love that Dip-n-Grow) needing trandplanting in 5 days, clones took off the same way - fast and furious - (but now all clones, being the same age as mothers, exibit the same weird deformations). Big Bud was also growing in the same room under the same conditions, but show no signs of this problem.

Environment (Mother Room): 7 plants, potted in 7 gal. pots with Miracle Grow potting soil. Room is 8x8x7, 1 - 1000w MH, temp stays at nice 78 degree average, humid 50%, 2 draw fans (one running with with the hum/temp control (240cfm), the other comes on once every hour for ten minutes (180cfm), oscill. fan.

Flower Room: 10x10x8, 1- 1000w HPS + 1- Super 600 on rotator (SunCircle 2), all other conditions like mother room. 21 plants (AFU).

Everything looked as it should (even better) up until a week and a half ago when this problem started to show itself and the leaves started to yellow, the plants started dying. We want to start over, but until we know the cause, if it something in the seeds, the water, the soil, the air, a virus or bacteria or creature of some kind, we're afraid to start in the same room again for obvious reasons.

I really appreciate all your help and suggestions. We're totally baffled, but more, we're going to lose our beautiful mamas and, it seems, this entire crop. :( Meanwhile we wait to bring up new seeds (on deck - white rhino, AK, christal, and purple haze).

Hi xserrurier, welcome onboard, glad ya made it and tanx for this info. did you try slice half of one off as sols suggested? :( You never know what you find. can you post pics of that?, for this you can use "file attachements" when you write a message. I wonder how it looks like now,.. and sliced open.

hey guys,,, tboat+xxsurrrier, man i been looking an reading, i havent really grown indoors"ive just started", but have grown plenty outside, an i reckon, an this is just me, but if they where growing as fast as u reckon, an from what i can see in pics,its kinda where the branches grow from, maybe the plant grew a bit too quick an its trying to hold its branches up,and it is causing deformations along branch, maybe cut the branches off before those weird bits an see if it grows back all spastic like, or like someone said, cut the chunky bit open see what is in there, a bug might fly out? maybe cuz it grew so fast it didnt quite devolp in places it should an some bits of the stems an branches grew big like this, it is sad if they die, i dunno if i helped, knowing me i proberly didnt, :( :(

Haven't cut them open yet, that'll be today. But it's too early, here, for my partner. A few more hours. I did break off several of those things last night, looked real close, and didn't see any bugs or eggs or remains, but i'm going to borrow a buddy's microscope later. Initial handling breaks them real easily. That just ain't right. Also, it seems like the affected stems lack any real fibre - like a tree trunk without bark.

???

I'll try to take some close-ups, meanwhile I took some better pics I'll post a little later.

maybe a bug or something, has got into ur plants at these points, an is eating the inside an working its way through ur plants?? u say its kinda hollow, an this is a longshot an i dunno if plants can have this happen but can airbubbles get into plants???? i know if humans get air bubbles in blood , they end up in funny places an we can die, that one was a longshot, hehehhe

Hmmm, have you considered that it's a disease? Maybe the clones were simultaneously infected by the tools.... Even when you sterilize, there's always a chance.... Good idea with the microscope, get back to us on that and maybe even a pic or two of the cutting open and examination? Try to get the highest mag you can, to see the individual cells, then compare to a "normal" unaffected sample on the same plant...

Also, since there are other plants in the same conditions, and only the clones are showing these effects, then its fairly likely that the 3 mothers you initially chose were unstable in some way. Were they treated with anything in transit? Did these seeds come from the same suppliers as the big bud, in the same package? Maybe an x-ray machine or something else in transit mutated them?

This is all pretty moot though, because if, as you say, they're dying, and not producing, then you're better off starting from scratch. :( Just to be sure though, remove all of the pots and sterilize everything attached or associated with these plants. This will ensure if it is a pathogen, then it won't simply be spread to the next batch of susceptible plants. (It's possible the Big Bud is simply immune, too...)

(but now all clones, being the same age as mothers, exibit the same weird deformations). Big Bud was also growing in the same room under the same conditions, but show no signs of this problem.

To me this suggests that whatever the problem is, it is genetic.

http://www.gamers-forums.com/smilies/contrib/ruinkai/coolgleamA.gif http://64.207.13.28/mysmilies/otn/glasses/smokin.gif

Indeed, but it could also be a pathogen in the grow room, which the Big Bud is immune to... But yes, more likely that it's a genetic fault in the original seeds...

Good luck mate.... :( Sad to see so many obviously well grown plants go to waste because of shit genes.... Nothing for it tho... :( I hope you do well enough with the big buds to offset your losses... At least something will get to harvest eh? ;)

Latest Update:

Mothers: Pots were leached and plants moved outdoors. They seem to be recovering somewhat, new growth but still a little twisted.

Clones: Growing just as funky as ever but seem to be continuing to flower. But once under 12/12 lite, they stopped growing in height. Today is day 30 of short lite. They're flowering very slowly. (Check attached pic.)

All plants were treated (sprayed) with Python to kill any bacteria, fungi, etc. Both rooms were scoured, bleached and sprayed to kill anything (if there was anything harmful to kill).

Bottom Line? We wait and see what another 30 days brings.

Peace,

j

post-24-1050782310_thumb.jpg