Marc Emery agrees to 5year jail

I agree Tom, but how much worse was our own Howard gov. for conspiring with Indonesian cops to send 9 Aus citizens to a death sentence? We aren't even supposed to agree to extradite murderers if the extradition will result in a death sentence, and in this case we actually set up the bust!

It's like we've sentenced Aus citizens to death by proxy.

Governments, who can trust any of the pricks?

rob

The USA has a long history of extraditing people from other countries for drug related activity so this is not without precedent. Extradition treaties usually have a condition that the alleged offense must be a crime in both countries. In this case it is, so Emery may well be fucked. Even if it wasn't, anyone who has read Mr.Nice would know that that through political pressure the USA can sometimes extradite people even if this condition doesn't exist if they want you bad enough.

In the end this is all about publicity. The DEA is sending a very clear message that if you are active in the law reform movement, they will come after you, no matter what country you are in. After the initial arrest of Emery, a senior DEA official was reported as saying that a major source of revenue for cannabis legalisation has now been cut off, (or words to that effect) which highlights their real motivation.

His wife wrote this to correct incorrect coverage (see below).

Technically Emery could also face the death sentence because of the drug kingpin laws in the US (which upon conviction include the death sentence) which state that selling over 60,000 seeds constitutes kingpin status.

NO DEAL FINALIZED FOR MARC EMERY

Re: Pot 'Prince' Favours Jail Time in Canada, Jan 15.

Some media outlets have published major errors about the plea deal Marc Emery -- my husband -- is working on with the U.S. and Canadian governments.

First, as correctly reported in the Post, the deal has not been finalized, so negotiations are still under way. The B.C. Supreme Court extradition hearing is scheduled for Jan. 21. Because the deal has not been presented or signed, there is still the possibility Marc will fight against extradition instead of plea bargaining.

Secondly -- as also correctly reported in the Post -- co-accused Michelle Rainey and Greg Williams' charges have not been dropped. They are not mentioned or included in the deal. Marc has stipulated he will only take the deal if his co-accused be spared from jail or prison, but further negotiations are needed to that end.

Lastly, Marc would still be extradited to the United States under temporary extradition and serve jail time, as the deal requires he plead guilty to charges in both Canada and the United States. He would serve six to nine months in a U.S. jail awaiting sentencing, and then the Americans would have 45 days to return him to Canada. He must serve no fewer than five years of the 10-year sentence in Canada as part of the deal.

Thank you for allowing me to clarify my husband's possible fate.

Jodie Emery, Vancouver.

http://www.mapinc.org/drugnews/v08/n067/a04.html

This hearing is not the end?

It will be when he pleads guilty. He should contest that the charges are politically motivated, which they are!!

Well the problem with an extradition hearing is that it is just a hearing. It's not a trial, and as such it makes it quite difficult to defend against, well at least the understanding i have.

Pipeman, I always think of "Mr. Nice" when -ever I read about emery. Poor bugger might have beaten those charges, but when they threatened to jail his wife (Mrs. Nice) he did the right and only thing.

But doesn't it just show what yank coppers are prepared to do to get the way they want. "Leaders of the free world" and all...

rob

HI guys...

Someone said earlier that Marc Emery is a Med Pot patient in Canada - he's NOT. He is a SOCIAL SMOKER. His co-accused Michelle Rainey like me, carries a License for medical Cannabis in Canada for our health BUT that is not important...

What is is that Marc has NOT settled on a deal of any kind yet.

He's back in Court in February sometime after today...

I'll keep you posted on the details as I hear more....

Alison

xx

http://www.leap.cc

http://www.themarijuanamission.com

HI guys...

Someone said earlier that Marc Emery is a Med Pot patient in Canada - he's NOT. He is a SOCIAL SMOKER. His co-accused Michelle Rainey like me, carries a License for medical Cannabis in Canada for our health BUT that is not important...

What is is that Marc has NOT settled on a deal of any kind yet.

He's back in Court in February sometime after today...

I'll keep you posted on the details as I hear more....

Also seeds are ACCEPTED as QUAZI legal in Canada and the U.S as HIGHTIMES, Treating Yourself (http://www.treatingyourself.com) SKUNK and many other Canadian ad U.S. cannabis magazines offer them for a price.

That's why it doesn't make sense that they arrested Marc, Michelle and Greg???

Very Fucked up.

Alison

xx

http://www.leap.cc

http://www.themarijuanamission.com