250mh or 400hps for veg?

I have just moved one of my plants from my 250mh and put it under a 400hps. Now the thing is, I believe that the plants that are growing under the 250mh are growing quicker than the plant under the 400. There on the same nute. Only difference is light and the 1 plant is in a bubbler setup. the others are in a PVC tube setup running a flood and drain system

The plants under the 250 are growing an inch a day, the plant under the 400 is growing about an inch every 2 days.

Any help guys?

Should i go buy some more 250's and keep veggin under them?

You just have weigh up the pros and cons. A 400 watter will definitely give better results, and a 600 even better still, and it goes on...

I use fluro's for the veg, and HPS for the gro. Saves a bit in the long run. But growth is much slower than when using MH or HPS. I try to keep running expenses down where possible.

I like to hope that one day we might need only these sorts of lighting as a supplement to natural daylight for starting seeds/ cuttings, and forcing to indicate sex. Now that would be better still. :D

The plants under the 250 are growing an inch a day, the plant under the 400 is growing about an inch every 2 days.

Any help guys?

Should i go buy some more 250's and keep veggin under them?

You'd be better off spending the extra dollars and buy another 400 HPS.

You will need HPS for the flowering stage and the more light, the better the yeild.

Metal halide isnt recommended for flowering but you probably already knew that :D

I need help here guys. I swear that the plants under the 250mh are growing quicker than the plants i have under the 400hps. Is this possibale or am i tripping? could it be something in the systems making them make the plants grow at different rates?

Has anyone vegged under mh's for the whole veg cycle?

The plants under the 250 MH are probably stretching which is not the best way to get a good yeild.

Check the distance between the nodes on the fast growing plant and compare it with the slower one under the 400HPS and I'm sure you will find the faster one are further apart.

It's possible to flower with MH but again, the yeild will be disappointing.

A lot of people only use HPS from start to finish and get very good results

I really need pics here but i'll try and explain. Like i said before this is my first time growing. I havn't even seen a plant bigger than 2 foot. anyway........

The plant under the 400hps......

The stem on this guy is .8 of an ich wide, and it has 4 new branches that have just poped out.

The plants in the PVC pipe system

Same batch of plants, but the stems on these guys are now more than an inch thick (i can;t fuking believe it) and there leaves are sooooo big. they have 6 new branches.

Clearly after seeing this, it tells me that MH is damn good for vegging. I will never flower under a MH, I have a flowering room atm with 2/400hps running and the buds are about 3" wide.

I need to take pics, I ain;t crash hot at explaining things.

I'll try and buy one today

That's what i'm thinking too, Only difference between the 2 systems is the water level and the amount they get feed. One system is 12 hours on (water+nute) other system is on a dripper which is set to 1 hour on every 3 hours and that's the system that the plants are in which are not growing that quick.

Also i got nute burn on all my bottom leaves..... This doesn;t really matter does it?

Guest GrowMad

If I see signs of nute burn starting, I flush my plants with a ph balanced water to prevent the nute burn spreading. Then drop drop the nutes to 1/2 strength. U can increase the strength of the nutes slowly, but if u see more burn happening, flush and drop the nutes to acceptable level....

Personally I'd say that the growth difference is the mh lamp. the blue spectrum will increase the growth massively. I use a SunMaster Super Deluxe HPS lamp which has a decent blue spectrum for a HPS lamp, but this still doesn't compare to a MH lamp for veg...