Waxy white scale wannabes!?

Recently my outdoor garden has been attacked by many insects :angry: , red and two-spotted spider mite, whitefly, aphids, and most of them were easy to deal with plant by plant, (except the mites, had to use a sulphur spray for them, and they're still hard to kill! :) ) Anyway, I've noticed that a waxy white scale like creatures have been attacking not only the tree fern and citrus, but attached to the stems of my ladies as well! About 2-3 ml around, their coating is soft and waxy and gets larger as the insect does, when you rub them off they have a bright red/orange underside and they squash easily..... Anyone know this pest? :huh: Anyone successfully treated them? I noticed that they came from the ivy vines growing between mine and my next door neighbors joining wall......

Peace.....

I haven't come across them myself but they sound like they are sucking the sap, if none of the members recognise them I would suggest taking some round to a nursery and asking there, they do infest other plants too.

http://www.gamers-forums.com/smilies/contrib/ruinkai/coolgleamA.gif http://64.207.13.28/mysmilies/otn/glasses/smokin.gif

Guest Urbanhog

If its just for your non-mj plants get Yate's "Baythroid" its not "so organic" sorry :D or get that oil called "White Oil" I think I can't remember and its pretty potent and you only need small amounts with 10 or so litres of water. Never use this on budding mj plants ;)

Its the best I can give for now, it will be easier for me, if I observed some pics or check out with my own eyes. (sorry) like Tom said, best go to the nursery and get a professional advice.

Urbanhog http://www.gamers-forums.com/smilies/contrib/sp/chefico.gif

By the way forgot to add... if spraying these chemicals, never spray on windy days, when its just about to rain or hot days, best use in the early mornings, even better spray at sunset.

Edited by Urbanhog

The plants are just starting to flower, and I've heard that using some sprays whilst flowering can cause some problems... :D And do you know if "white oil" (petroleum oil I think) is safe to use if cats are around? I have 4 of them and they quite often sleep and eat (cat grass... catnip and one even munches on the occasional leaf of my ladies! ;) )in my courtyard garden, so as a result I try to use organic or at least "safe" pest control where possible and affordable. I just read my latest Australian Orchid Review and saw an article on pest control in greenhouses.... They suggested using a mix of both the white oil and pyrethrum concentrate, and they had no problems with pests getting into their greenhouses since implementing this.... What do you think? Would something like this mixture also be used for spidermites and whitefly? ;)

Thanks guys....

peace