hydro versus bush

Oh boy, don't get me started on this. This thing about people in Australia calling pot "bush" or "hydro" is misleading and shows most people don't know much about strains of pot.

While hydro should strickly mean pot grown hydroponically, in Australia a lot of people who aren't aware there are different strains of pot call all specially bred strains such as Skunk, Northern Lights, White Widow etc. "hydro".

I grow all these strains outdoors, or have done anyway, and when people ask me what it is I say for example that it's outdoor grown Skunk.

Then they say so it's bush is it?

And I say no it's Skunk. And then they say oh so it's hydro then.

And I say no it's outdoor grown not hydroponically grown.

And they say, but Skunk is hydro.

I say, just tell people it's outdoor grown Skunk.

I used to get people coming to see me saying, "Was that pot hydro?"

And I would say, "No it's outdoor grown White Widow".

And they would say, "I tell everyone it's bush but they keep coming back to me and telling me it's not bush, it's hydro".

people here have come to think of "hydro" as a strain or type of pot, rather than pot grown a certain way.

Personally I think the term "bush" should be dumped because it's misleading, it say's everything and it says nothing.

B) hehe, so true, so true.

This reasoning/understanding the average dickhead Ozzie pot consumer seems to have never ceases to amaze me either.

I have had pot returned to me because as it was on sold, the punters thought it 'looked like bush' :) without even smoking it!

Just another reason to stay away from dealing and grow for pleasure.

Nice choice on the DJ Short genetics as well creature of the forrest

There's a lot of myth flying about regarding 'hydro' vs 'bush.' No small part of this dung is flung by zero-tolerance, anti-drug wowsers.

:rolleyes: hmmm sort of like the blind leading the blind Al? ;) No wonder pot is illegal ;)

I was growing in a place that could go months without rain, and so the arguement that indoor exceeeds outdoor because it doesnt suffer rain didnt even count. The exceeedingly dry environment I grew in made hard work, but the plants had so much resin running down the stems it was like honey. I mean I've never seen so much resin in an indoor garden ever, not in real life, nor over the net.

:rolleyes: Robbie this grow you keep quoting doesn't help much either B)

Yeah I get burned up when I hear someone putting shit on grass because it was grown outside. I mean u can get some rough weed grown outside of course, and the odds of rough weed comming from an indoor garden are very slim, simply due to the constant access to being on hand to trim, care etc for the plants.

The biggest fault I see in samples of outdoor stuff me mates bring to me is premature harvesting. I can certainly understand why an outdoor grower would get antsy and pull 'em at 5-6 weeks of flowering, but they really hurt the yield and density.. most all the weight comes on in the last 2-3 wks of an 8-10wk flowering run.

But the only outdoors weed that ever was crappy was so because it was commercially grown.

You bet. Whenever you are seriously commercial, you're looking at it all as an economic consideration When outdoors, your risk is lots higher. Tending plants outdoors, unless you have your own acreage, is a great way to get noticed... and busted.

But all in all, this is ancient history right?

Not until cannabis is legalised will ordinary weed be less common.

I think the most powerful aspect isn't hydro or soil, it's our imaginations.

dingdingding!! You're bang on it, Rob. One's perceptions of the effect of cannabis can be coloured by lots of different things, up to and including what kind of a mood you were in when you sparked up. It's very hard to be objective about differing highs from differing times. I actually DO remember my first stone in some detail, but I'd be hard pressed to compare one cone to another over the years.

As I'm primarily a med user, I tend to measure effect by the length of time of the pain relief effect. Good stuff will keep my aches & pains down for about 3-4 hrs. Ordinary stuff lasts half that.

Some excellent posts here!

Bush and hydro are grow methods but the average punter seems to thing anything manicured and chunky has to be hydro. I'd like to point out I grow indoor organic. So is that bush or hydro? When I used to grow outdoors I sometimes gave my plants a dose of hydroponic solution to boost them. There are many possible ways to grow. The only thing that worries me with hydro indoors is the possibility of commercial growers using pesticides if their crop is overwhelmed by pests. The chances of this happening indoors is greater. There is also something special about planting a seed in early September and harvesting a monster in May of the next year.

This year I'm growing True Blueberry from DJ Short,

I'd be interested to see how these go as I'm onto my second crop of Chimeras' mountain jam which is half DJ true blue. Not the strongest pot but really pleasant to smoke. Forrest creature, do you have problems with mould with any of these indica varieties outdoors?

I think the most powerful aspect isn't hydro or soil, it's our imaginations.

True :rolleyes:

[Forrest creature, do you have problems with mould with any of these indica varieties outdoors? ]

Usually not; last year there were really heavy dews for about three weeks leading up to harvest, and then it rained often as well. Wasn't the usual harvest weather.

I did get a bit of mold but just the odd bud.

The strain was Northern Lights from Sensi.

Usually though I don't grow full on indica's but rather sativa/indica hybrids.

I have grown California Orange, KC 33, Skunk, Northern Lights, White Widow, Trance and I forget what else outdoors with no problems from mold.

Then again I tried a spring crop this year, putting them out start of August and expecting to harvest middle of October.

The strain was called "Blubonic"from Spice of Life; they all went moldy.

A friend tried some of the Blubonic indoors and said they had to have a fan blowing full on them to stop them molding.

I think, in relation to mold, that it's the ones that are sold as real high yielders that are the ones you have to watch.

Personally from now on I'm steering clear of anything that is advertised as above-average yield.

Anyway I think that the average yeilders have more crystals; I have cut into huge buds in the past to find that there's hardly any crystals inside.

If I want more buds then I will just plant a few more plants.

If you stick to the indica/sativa crosses then you wont have any problems, unless you are up north in the tropics where things might be different.

Also avoid anything advertised as growing just a main centre cola; there is no room for air circulation between the buds and between the buds and the main stem, and the stem can go moldy as well as the buds. Better to have something branchier so the buds are spread out more and can get some air circulation happening.

Also if you think mold might be a problem then you can top the plant so that you get more smaller buds rather than a big centre cola.

creature of the forest

Ah!! Have'nt been on here much of late. Been busy in the forest. I see this story never ends eh?. Don't spose it matters a lot where its grown. I prefer the forest cos its where i have to grow. as for the pot, as long as its not full of toxins i don't give a rats where its grown. I sometimes GIVE people pot. and what one person likes, another dislikes. Ihave given someone pot, they have come back and said " you don't have something diff do you?" cos they did'nt like it. i say sure mate, try this one. they come back and tell me the second one was heaps better. but i know it was exactly the same pot. so i guess if you tell em what they want to here, all is good. same applies to bush/hydro story. plenty of good strains grown in the bush is chunky as. so when they say " is this bush or hydro" i tell em what they want to here. and all is well... cheers guys...b.b.

g'day:) what ya mean......quote: years ago (the 1970's) the quality of the herb was no where near as good as today...for instance people used to buy cannabis that was damp!!! or...with seeds in it...try that today and see how far you get!!....

i find it difficult to buy buds dried correctly very often, seems most dealers are actually wetting buds to make it heavier thereby gaining more profit!.....too many rip off sellers around now imo.

^^ exactly mate ive heard a lot of storys from my homeland (uk) of buds really crystally that turned out to be glass fuckin beads whats the world coming too i personally prefer to buy "bush" as its usually some one i know growing it and or a hell of alot more weight for your $

ive also noticed some serious headaches from unflushed hydg an try 2 stay away unless i know its ok