hydro versus bush

'bush' a term that means the marijuana was grown in the bush/sticks/outdoors

'hydro' a term that means the marijuana was grown without soil under artificial lights

this topic is both about which type of MJ you prefer to partake of and/or about particular strains of cannabis.

bush is often a sativa base..cerebral up euphoric buzz..and hydro is often a deep body stone..numb..sleepy...thats my understanding anyways...also ive never bought weed that isnt bush or hydro...meaning its never had a paticular strain/name attached to it...

..so my question is..does anyone in OZ buy weed that is of a paticular strain?...and for those people from overseas....when u buy weed is it often sold by strain?..or simpy 'hydro' or 'bush'....my understanding is that in america people often are buying paticular strains...is that true?...cause if it is..we in OZ have a bit of catching up to do with regards to 'quality control'!!

from what ive read..years ago (the 1970's) the quality of the herb was no where near as good as today...for instance people used to buy cannabis that was damp!!! or...with seeds in it...try that today and see how far you get!!....some years ago..not that many 'sinse' aka sinsemilla was all the rage...sinsimella simply means without seeds.....nowadays you dont hear the word much 'cause people now take it for granted that their weed wont be full of seed...

...so it appears we have made a lot of progress with regard to quality control ...i like quality.....if i still drank alcohol it would be quality...no more goon for me!!.....stuff the cheap and nasty draino type drinks...drink good quality spirits or beer or whatever you like...which leads me back to the quality of the cannabis im smoking... i want a specific brand of marijuana to smoke...just like i used to like smoking a specific brand of ciggarettes....you know how it is..once you have your favourite few brands of ciggarettes..you stick with them...(the others taste like crap!!).....and i assume the same would be true for marijuana..once you have several specific breeds of marijuana..you will over time develop a preference for a few paticular strains...(call me a pot snob if u want..then after that you can go back to smoking your 'leaf' and drinking your plonk!! (*grin*)

due to the government making this plant illegal to smoke...i have not yet had the pleasure of smoke testing specific brands/breeds of weed...the only two breeds i have smoked are 'bush' and 'hydro'...which are actually just descriptions of the growing techniques used..NOT...paticular strains...

...obviously some times we are smoking actual well known strains....even if our dealer never tells us..(assuming they know)...we still dont know what posions/pesticides etc..may have been sprayed on what we smoke...another good reason to grow our own..and help put 'drug dealers' out of business..).....however personally..i dont have a preference for 'bush' or 'hydro'...often hydro is better grown and therefore more potent..not always though...and bush is cheaper and of a lower quality..(not always though!!)

..so....which do u prefer..bush or hydro?.....or maybe white widow..or.....bio weed!!..or cannabis cookies!!..lol...

i like my skunk#1 that was bought from planet skunk, it knocks the socks off most who smoke her. i like my hydro but do appreciate a well grown bush or outdoor when it is available, depends on how i am feeling. quite often i will have 3-4 different types in my bowl as well as either some bubble hash or hash oil. ultimately i would love to have a spice rack arrangement for all of my different strains so i can just choose what i want to smoke.lol cone pig thats me :bongon:

i prefer indoor grown marijuana, but every now and then i get cravings for a good sativa smoke which usually has me buying some "bush" weed lol but that brings me to a point i was intending to make about bush pot being sativa dominate and the reason for it being sativa dominate is that those strains perform better outdoors. if indica strains grew to 20ft tall, didnt catch mould nearly as easily in wet weather, etc. they would be the dominate outdoor strains because the buds are heavier given the same bud size compared to sativa dominate strains :bongon:

from what ive read..years ago (the 1970's) the quality of the herb was no where near as good as today...for instance people used to buy cannabis that was damp!!! or...with seeds in it...try that today and see how far you get!!....some years ago..not that many 'sinse' aka sinsemilla was all the rage...sinsimella simply means without seeds.....nowadays you dont hear the word much 'cause people now take it for granted that their weed wont be full of seed.

I started smoking ion the 70s and while it is true that there was a lot of lower quality weed around much of it compared favourably with what you get today. I would go as far as saying that the best quality gear (Thai sticks for example) of those times was better than what I can find today. In Australia at least most of what we smoked was sativa and was extremely strong. Some very intense and close to a trip. Yes, seedy stuff and leaf got sold and smoked but never have I heard of damp weed getting sold? Where did you hear this?

The bush /hydro debate is kind of strange to me as it is simply the way you grow it. The question should be about variety. I could take a "bush variety" and grow it indoors hydro and get a very similar result (as bufo has just pointed out).

Oh boy, don't get me started on this. This thing about people in Australia calling pot "bush" or "hydro" is misleading and shows most people don't know much about strains of pot.

While hydro should strickly mean pot grown hydroponically, in Australia a lot of people who aren't aware there are different strains of pot call all specially bred strains such as Skunk, Northern Lights, White Widow etc. "hydro".

I grow all these strains outdoors, or have done anyway, and when people ask me what it is I say for example that it's outdoor grown Skunk.

Then they say so it's bush is it?

And I say no it's Skunk. And then they say oh so it's hydro then.

And I say no it's outdoor grown not hydroponically grown.

And they say, but Skunk is hydro.

I say, just tell people it's outdoor grown Skunk.

The term "bush" as most people use it usually refers to pot that is not of a specially bred strain, or maybe pot from big crops that have not had all the males pulled and therefore is a bit seedy.

This year I'm growing True Blueberry from DJ Short, which is one of the most cutting edge and expensive bred strains out there. They will all be grown from clone and tended well.

So according to some peoples thinking because these will be grown outdoors it is therefore "bush" and so inferior to say some bagseed grown indoors hydroponically.

Grok said bush is often sativa based.

I have always grown predominantly indica strains outdoors, except once I grew some haze.

With indica's the plants are out in the forest for a shorter time; less time for someone to find them and rip them off.

Shorter time frame for a lot of things to happen to them actually.

I used to get people coming to see me saying, "Was that pot hydro?"

And I would say, "No it's outdoor grown White Widow".

And they would say, "I tell everyone it's bush but they keep coming back to me and telling me it's not bush, it's hydro".

people here have come to think of "hydro" as a strain or type of pot, rather than pot grown a certain way.

Personally I think the term "bush" should be dumped because it's misleading, it say's everything and it says nothing.

I always tell the people the strain they are smoking and how it was grown; for example White Widow grown in the ground out among the gum trees and watered with creek water that had yabbies swimming in it.

Gives them something to think about as they puff leisurely on the joint.

And you can actually taste the creek water in the finished product, especially if it's been a dry summer and the waterhole shrinks and becomes a bit stagnant.

Pot is always better grown outdoors than indoors.

I have lost count of how many people have said to me, "everyone is raving about your pot, it's much better than the hydro they have been getting".

Or "I can't believe that this is outdoor, it's better than all the hydro going around".

Not that I admit to selling it or anything.

I think it's up to all us knowledgable growers to educate all these people; let's use the strain name if we know it, and rather than using the term "bush", with all it's negative connotations of seedy buds and hempy strains, lets use the term outdoor grown.

creature of the forest

There's a lot of myth flying about regarding 'hydro' vs 'bush.' No small part of this dung is flung by zero-tolerance, anti-drug wowsers.

There certainly is a potency difference between 1960s-70s weed and 'modern,' indoor hydroponically grown weed, but it's not for the reasons proffered by the propagators of the 'Not Your Father's Marijuana' myth, such as 'genetically modified super cannabis,' which is claimed by wowsers to have anywhere from 5-1000 times the strength of 1960s pot. I muse about what ZT nutbags think about the 'potency' and addictiveness of hydroponic lettuce and tomatoes. :rolleyes:

The US DEA has measured THC (more or less accurately) of seized cannabis for many years. The DEA has recorded an upswing in THC content by weight over the years, but that difference is mainly due to the fact that you no longer get bags of buds with seeds, stems and fan leaves. You just get buds (and so does the DEA...). 95-99% of the THC in a cannabis plant is in the resin in the buds with next to none in seeds, stems and leaves. Remove the weight of the inert material and the THC by weight jumps right up.

Any strain you can grow outdoors can be grown indoors. Some strains which are bred to produce very large and heavy buds don't do so well outdoors because they can't take much rain and dew without developing bud mould. Further to that, there's not much potency difference between clones of the same plant being grown outdoors as opposed to indoors, provided you get no pests and perfect weather for your outdoor plants.

The main productivity advantages to growing indoors are that there's never a cloudy day and it's easier to control pests (like thieves...) indoors. Since you also have control over day length and temperatures indoors, the growing season indoors is perpetual.

Yeah I get burned up when I hear someone putting shit on grass because it was grown outside. I mean u can get some rough weed grown outside of course, and the odds of rough weed comming from an indoor garden are very slim, simply due to the constant access to being on hand to trim, care etc for the plants.

But the only outdoors weed that ever was crappy was so because it was commercially grown. Male flowers slipped in, so a few seeds here and there. Dried on the spot, so maybe they got damp or even wet during the process, quality control not cared about beause of sheer bulk being dealt with.

But all in all, this is ancient history right?

I was growing in a place that could go months without rain, and so the arguement that indoor exceeeds outdoor because it doesnt suffer rain didnt even count. The exceeedingly dry environment I grew in made hard work, but the plants had so much resin running down the stems it was like honey. I mean I've never seen so much resin in an indoor garden ever, not in real life, nor over the net.

People were smoking my gear at woodford many years ago, when hydro was still an infancy indusrty, and anything "bush" was considered crap. People were raving about this wild hydro gear they could score, they called it skunk. Said it was the wildest hydro in town. I know who they bought it off, I saw it grown with my own eyes, and it grew every day of it's life in the soil under the sun and the stars.

I never told anyone, because even as good as that gear was, if they had discovered it was bush grown, their bias would have caused them to change their view.

I think the most powerful aspect isn't hydro or soil, it's our imaginations.

cheers

rob