Does marijuana lead to other drugs?

busting the gateway theory  

59 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

i dont know if my vote counts cause i always wanted to get into heroin but was having trouble getting there. i only smoked cannabis because i heard it was a gateway drug and i thought it would help me get a heroin addiction. totally didnt work by the way i still havnt fulfilled my lifelong dream of heroin addiction. now im stoned all the time and cant be fucked getting heroin. i wish i never started smoking weed, i would have been a H head by now for sure

• Upvote 3

i dont know if my vote counts cause i always wanted to get into heroin but was having trouble getting there. i only smoked cannabis because i heard it was a gateway drug and i thought it would help me get a heroin addiction. totally didnt work by the way i still havnt fulfilled my lifelong dream of heroin addiction. now im stoned all the time and cant be fucked getting heroin. i wish i never started smoking weed, i would have been a H head by now for sure

Take it from some one that has been there u NEVER wanna become hooked on that shit.

Once that shit gets hold of you u will loose everything, it is the nature of the beast.

And the health issues in later life because if it, it just not worth it...

• Upvote 2

Very true Ozzy.

As I have seen endless numbers of my mate an lady friends be taken by that evil drug called Heroin.Till death do us depart.

Only a very few every recover from it's ,An they are the lucky one's   

I myself only bonged it a few times an that was enough to open my eye's to what it was doing to me an have never tried it again an that was over 40year's ago.

For the past 40year's I have only used Cannabis for Rec/an mainly medical use for my many illnesses.

I count myself as 1 of the lucky one's as even the morphine I take for the chronic pain as not turned me into a junkie,I know my body is addicted to the morphine but my mind is not so I have never had the urge to abuse the medications I take now days.

When I first had to start using morphine for the chronic pain my doctor explained  to me that there is 2 kinds of addiction.

1/ One is physical.

2/ An the other is mental addiction.

It was one of the hardest things that I have ever had to do an that was to start taking morphine as it made me very sick an had to take pills to stop me from spewing all the time from the morphine.

I was so shit scared that I would become mentally addicted to it,But my doctors reassured  me that I had a very strong will power an it would be highly unlikely that I would become mentally addicted to the morphine an they were right.

But Cannabis has played a big part in my life so far as pain relief goes.An has kept me on the straight an narrow line of life it's self.

Regards,Dingo-2008. 

Take it from some one that has been there u NEVER wanna become hooked on that shit.

Once that shit gets hold of you u will loose everything, it is the nature of the beast.

And the health issues in later life because if it, it just not worth it...

sorry ozzy if that was distasteful i have struggled with cocaine addiction so i understand a little. just wanted to highlight how stupid it is to say pot is a gateway drug.

if it is a gateway drug its because having cannabis grouped in with other more serious narcotics really lessons the impact of having them illegal in the first place.

you see heroin, meth, cocaine and pot all in the same group. you have tried pot and it doesnt seem all that bad maybe the others arent all that bad either. obviously all the things i heard about cannabis are not true maybe all the things i have heard about those other drugs is not true as well.

i think if cannabis was legal then having those other drugs illegal would carry more weight

i have been smoking cannabis with my mates for years.

every now an then.. there have been speed nights.. or coke partys... even the odd lsd or shroom trip.

never had a "problem" then a few of my "lifetime friends" found ICE.. the evil shit that it is.

that did not end well in any of the cases.. no longer friends with most of them.

some are in lock up.. some have been bashed... and four of them did a home invasion on me.

one i helped to get off it.. an he is a daily smoking buddy.. (cannabis only)

the other has been clean for three years.. and has a huge job going... yay.

im in the mind set cannabis is not a drug.

sorry ozzy if that was distasteful i have struggled with cocaine addiction so i understand a little. just wanted to highlight how stupid it is to say pot is a gateway drug.

if it is a gateway drug its because having cannabis grouped in with other more serious narcotics really lessons the impact of having them illegal in the first place.

you see heroin, meth, cocaine and pot all in the same group. you have tried pot and it doesnt seem all that bad maybe the others arent all that bad either. obviously all the things i heard about cannabis are not true maybe all the things i have heard about those other drugs is not true as well.

i think if cannabis was legal then having those other drugs illegal would carry more weight

I couldn't tell if your 1st post was serious or taking the piss.

The point you make about grouping canna with these other drugs is a very good one, especially in conjunction with the over hyped bullshit the anti drug groups spout about how dangerous they all are, has that affect of "my mate tried it and none of that happened, so it must all be lies".  And addiction is just a word until it's reality is understood, and it takes time to realise it through experience, by which time it's too late.

Up front honesty, and clear and rational education about drugs would do more to stop risk taking teens making bad drug decisions than anything else, but they just get fed this bullshit instead, and teens might do stupid things but they aren't dumb.  The gateway theory is just more of the same bullshit put out there to demonise canna, and if there was any reality to it then it would also clearly apply to ciggies and alcohol which are the 1st entry points into intoxicants for a lot of people, but for some strange reason they aren't included???

I was fascinated with weed way before I'd seen or tried it, or anything else for that matter, and knew I wanted to try it way before I was ready to.  So as a 14 year old I went looking for real information about drugs so that I entered that phase of my life informed about what I was doing.  I had already made the decision not to try anything else, and stuck to it except for the occassion a dickhead spiked my cone with speed against my wishes, a bad night that left me very pissed off.

As a teenager the only thing I can recall as being a "gateway" was the people I hung around with, and that's something that will never change, making proper honest education the most important thing.  Drug taking is a deep seated part of human nature, we need to work with it instead of against it because we can't beat it.

I read a post today that mentioned the gateway theory which if you have been living under a rock means if you smoke pot, you'll end up on harder drugs :scratchin: I personally feel that statement can infact hold true, BUT only if cannabis is the very first drug you have consumed. afterall, wouldnt any drug you tried before consuming marijuana be the original gatway drug?

I want to know what drug you first tried and then if you have tried any drugs after that very first time. I believe that alcohol will prove itself to be the main gateway drug, but with the wide range of members here anything is possible so it would be really good to see how this poll goes :thumbsup:

edit: the list of drugs is which drug you tried first and the yes and no under the list is for if you have tried drugs after that first time.

Well theoretically caffeine is classed as a dependent drug, so does that mean that we all started and opened this gateway being children and having a Kinder Surprise, and then later on having our first hot chocolate, then on to coffee and tea. But to argue my own point, where do we classify the use of drugs? is it nicotine (second highest known addictive substance),  alcohol (entry point to severe mind altering substances), which are both legal and socially acceptable. Is it more along the lines of your first illicit puff of cannabis? which is another argument all together with its controversy about its prohibition and the government propaganda into its harm to the body with their invalid claims.

I for one believe that nothing is a gateway drug to another substance. Each substance we put in our body has very difference effect on different receptors in our brain and body. For example, alcohol doesn't make you want cannabis, smoking cannabis doesn't make you need or want opiates, opiates don't make you want or need crystal meth or cocaine. They are completely separate addictions. What I do believe is the gateway is governments putting more and more control on us with rules and laws. The more rules and laws we are made to adhere to, the more we feel mentally caged, and the more we feel mentally caged the more we want to break out and escape so we find an easy route without hurting others (obviously mental health is a factor on the "hurting others" claim), and this route/escape would be going down the street and grabbing the first available illicit drug to ingest and viola!!! we have started a good feeling and want to use that experienced feeling to mask the social pressures of all the rules and laws that have been placed on us and hence form a full blown addiction. 

Now this is fully my own opinion and not trying to create argument, and really believe that the more we feel trapped and caged by rules and laws, the more we want to break free. Unlike a zoo animal that is caged, and told/trained it cannot be what it normally is in the wild, it just wants to escape the enclosure and the confines of the zoo, but we have no cage to jump out of, no zoo to walk out of, so what do we have to break free, "hmmmmmmm lets break some rules and do things our own way and maybe that may give a sense of freedom". 

I used to smoke heroin rocks (almost pure opium) with a mate once or twice a year back in the 70's. That was as far as I wanted to go with it, as it was a sensational feeling after the obligatory chuck up. Last time I saw him, many moons ago, he was on methadone treatment. I can understand how damn easy it is to get addicted to heroin or opiate based drugs. 

I read a post today that mentioned the gateway theory which if you have been living under a rock means if you smoke pot, you'll end up on harder drugs https://cannabis.community.forums.ozstoners.com/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/scratchchin.gif I personally feel that statement can infact hold true, BUT only if cannabis is the very first drug you have consumed. afterall, wouldnt any drug you tried before consuming marijuana be the original gatway drug? I want to know what drug you first tried and then if you have tried any drugs after that very first time. I believe that alcohol will prove itself to be the main gateway drug, but with the wide range of members here anything is possible so it would be really good to see how this poll goes https://cannabis.community.forums.ozstoners.com/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/thumbup.gif edit: the list of drugs is which drug you tried first and the yes and no under the list is for if you have tried drugs after that first time.

Sugar is the gateway drug as are analgesic opioid based medications for some. Caffeine also .... what comes first the chicken or the egg ? Edited by _Puff_Tough_