Does marijuana lead to other drugs?

busting the gateway theory  

59 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Drug abuse is a problem; drug use is not.

Drug use is normal human behaviour, has been since Uncle Monkey ate fermented fruit fallen to the ground. Some humans are wired to overuse drugs- about 1-3%. It's abstinence from drugs which is a defiance of human nature, not the other way around.

There's no such thing as a 'gateway' drug. All such classifications are meaningless products of 'observational studies' as it were, not serious science. Moreover, the results of such pseudoscience are employed in one manner- to drive a political agenda- not to use the information in treatment or prevention of drug abuse.

Observation will tell you that ice melts and boils away to nothing, snow melts and boils away to nothing, water boils away to nothing, therefore everything wet boils away to nothing. The 'gateway' crap is a piece of propaganda seeded by some weak observational data, nothing more. You can credit the US ONDCP (Office of National Drug Control Policy a.k.a. Drug Czar, the US national drug propaganda house) for this 'gateway' nonsense.

:rolleyes: I'm pretty sure I consumed a lot of water before I had ever experimented with drugs <_< maybe that's the root cause of my evil ways :D

An open mind is what led me to drug use and I'm fucking proud of it, we all should be ;)

When I was younger I didn't really encounter peer pressure, but I definitely didn't want to miss out on the experiences that my mates were enjoying via drug experimentation B)

Without drug use I wouldn't have met my girlfriend (nearly 10yrs ago) and wouldn't have these two beautiful children, so I'm very grateful of where drugs have led me lol

In fact, I can't imagine how my life could've been any better without them lol

First drug I consumed was a baccy cigarette, first day in highschool. You know "what you don't smoke?" .."yeah sure, been doing it since grade 2" all that bullshit. I smoked pot (pretty weak stuff) about 2 weeks later, and didn't touch booze for at least 2 or more years. I started baccy and pot at 12/13 years old. Booze frightened me a great deal, because my dad didn't drink, didn't even allow it in the house for parties etc. We spent lots of time together camping, bushwalking as kids, and he gaveme all these horror stories of how booze destroyed two of his brother's lives, so I grew up withthis fear if I drank booze, I'd ruin everyone I cared about. And frankly I did end up a prety serious alcoholic eventually for a while, and I didi injure my family. But that's all way behind me now.

I tried a few pills, as my mate's step sister was a drop dead gorgeous prostitute, and she got bodgy prescriptions. She'd get her brother and I to fill them at the chemist, so it didn't look so sus, her being the typicall dressed 70s hippy chick. She'd toss us a few black hearts and puple bombers for our efforts. Tried mushrooms for a couple years, but never got overly involved in any of all that, just stuck with grass as a mainstay.

BUT! through medical needs, I've used some of the most dangerous drugs on the planet, andnot just opiates, of which I'm a ranting addict now. I've been addicted to dextamethasone, which takes away your memory of yourself, and kills people quiet regulalry, prendisone, which kills more people every year than any other drug, and a host of others. Melleril, which gave me tardive dykensia..

And there's my dad,. been smokin grass since very early 70s, maybe earlier. And to this day has used no other illicit drug, and that goes for almost every old bloke I know through dad. The whole lot are pot smokers, and theyhave no interst in anything, most don't even drink booze in even sall ways.

The gateway theory (in the sense that one drug tempts one into the next harder one and so on..), so far as I'm convinced, is pure hype. I wish we could get rid of it from people's minds. I suppose Holland and Switzerand are prime examples of this theory being shakey hey?

cheers'

rob

well if i was a scientist that accepted the gateway theory i would be a hypocrite to not think that alcohol and tobaco lead to heavier drugs lol 75% said they tried other drugs. shit that means 25% lied cause you all smoked pot and it the deffinition of drug is "any article, other than food, intended to affect the structure or any function of the body of humans or other animals."

I first started smoking cigs when I was about 13yrs old, then I was about 14 when I actually tried booze (first time I had got drunk), I would have been 15 when I pinched some of my mother's Duromine, that was a spin out, cause I didn't know that they were a diet tablet that kept you awake, that was back in the late 60's.

I drank alcohol and smoke cigs until 1975, then I tried dope for the first time by having a joint, I was a young 21 year old. In the 70's I was led to believe that if you smoked dope you would go for the heavy drugs, for me I did not turn to heavy drugs, I did try speed, (80's) did nothing for me, so I have never bothered to try other heavy drugs.

I have now smoked dope for 30+ years and I am still enjoying it, when I stop enjoying that is when I decide to stop.

;)

Well , excellent points so far .. I'd do better right now to not try and elaborate on any given reference of idea .. So may I do myself the favour of submitting a short list Plz?? .. :) why thankyou ..

Drugs .. Hmm , It all started with conception .. I don't remember too mucha about it , nor about the embryonic status .. but I remember It was truly psychadelic from watching movies such as "Look who's talking" and "Look who's talking too" ;) ..nw

And so .. on with the list ...

Sugars and assorted proteins to start .. then Raw Sugar .. um .. more sugar after that , and in comes TV :) .. man , SUgar and TV , the perfect mix , or so you thought :P ..

Then after a couple of years was Antibiotics and Panadol , Then more sugar , and Rhoald Dahl .. Stephen King etc ..after many years .. confusion and testosterone .. then not long after ..

Hospital grade Pethadine , Morphine etc etc .. then Coffee(caffeine) then maybe Alcohol discovery (not long after recovering from surgery) , But by no means a regular thing ..

Then Cannabis , then CIgarettes (tobacco , first was a Champion Ruby the size of a cigar :) .. didn't taste as good as It smelled from others smoking) ;) ..

Um , then more Cannabis , More Tobacco and More Booze .. lets say , as a multiplying continuem to this day lol lol

Then after was Mushrooms on my own device , then "acid" , a little speed after (meh) .. then maybe LSD pure (the only I've had yet) .. many more mushrooms ..

Then I had the unfortunate thing of trying prescription Psychoactives for Depression etc .. (Something I would not recommend to anyone) .. I tried a couple of types and decided with much greif caused that this was most certainly not the right way to feel any type of better ..

Then I happened to find .. Non-Hospital Heroin (can I say that?) .. for a few times .. man was that relaxing :) .. was fuckin excellent and clean to tell you the truth from a broken persons point of veiw ..

But that situation wasn't too great and eventually I moved on yet again ..

So then ... I've smoked Marijuana for a long time , so It's natural .. I am an alcoholic ... I've tried Speed once or twice more .. I consumed many shrooms on a weekly basis .. Tried a few other things at places .. like DMT extracts and mixes .. Ecstasy and probly other stuff I cant remember .. What's MDMA? ..

Anyhoo , pretty crappy list I spose , I'm really drunk but was feeling honest about replying .. SO I Hope It wasn't to disjointed lol .. obviously I woulda left a few details out .. but then , thats a basic rundown formine of my ... "The Travels Beyond the Gateway" /// ... nw :)

Cheerz and Enjoy :D

Budman ;)

P.s. .. Woohoo!! .. 15 Smilies :) ... and about time too aye .. one to match each common drug taken no doubt .. /

I believe cannabis use is associated with other illegal drug use, but only because it has been grouped in with all the other illegal drugs by our lawmakers. So to smoke cannabis you have to be involved with criminals and anyone involved in illegal drugs is likely to have access to a number of them, and if you hang out with that person, you will have access to them as well.

If the law makers are concerned about cannabis being a gateway into the criminal community wouldn't it make sense to decriminalise it? :idea:

The gateway effect for me

was discovering how I had been lied to about the effects of cannabis,

leaving me to ask what else did they lie about when it came to other drugs.

THIS is what left the so called gate open for me to experiment with other substances,

when the so called health care proffessionals start telling the truth

maybe people will believe what they say and not need to experiment to find out what is true and what is not.

legalization would have shut that gate for me by having better information (and hopefully truer) from a group of people who knew what they were talking about instead of pretending they understand its effects even though they have never used anything and are proud of it.

Truth is more powerful than all the lies in the world.

Edited by amarkrieder

I think history shows the gateway effect to be nothing more than propaganda that was used to secure the job of a bunch of corrupt cops and nothing more, and should be buried forever.

I've smoked since I was 13 or so, smoke ciggies a few weeks, maybe days prior. Never had an alcoholic drink before either. As I grew up through my teens I used acid, speed, shrooms and loads of rum. Each one was experimental and passed in time and I remained with grass. I was prescibed opiates for pain and even for the firstten years of high amounts, I never was much interested. I mean I could have picked up scripts of fresh batches say on the first of the month, and if I had no pain, I would leave it go for months at a tiome before I picked it back up. Finally it took hold, and I'm a full on opiate addict now, but it has nothing to do with pot progressing into opiates, and I wish with every fibre in my body i could get off the opiates, so there ya go.

But I base it on even more than my own experience, and that is my father and his mates. They started smoking 70 ish, and none of his mates still to this day do anything but smoko. My brother and a couple uncles are the same. All have smoked grass most their lives, and none of them would know what cocaine, heroin, or any other drug was if it hit them in the face.

That's how it's been for me and my family anyway.

cheers

rob