Does marijuana lead to other drugs?

busting the gateway theory  

59 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I read a post today that mentioned the gateway theory which if you have been living under a rock means if you smoke pot, you'll end up on harder drugs :) I personally feel that statement can infact hold true, BUT only if cannabis is the very first drug you have consumed. afterall, wouldnt any drug you tried before consuming marijuana be the original gatway drug?

I want to know what drug you first tried and then if you have tried any drugs after that very first time. I believe that alcohol will prove itself to be the main gateway drug, but with the wide range of members here anything is possible so it would be really good to see how this poll goes :punk:

edit: the list of drugs is which drug you tried first and the yes and no under the list is for if you have tried drugs after that first time.

Gateway theory has repeatedly been shot down, as only a tiny proportion of "light" drug users progress to use other illicit substances.

No-one lives under a rock, and cannabis is rarely the first intoxicant that people try. Even if it was the first mind-altering substance you used, it wouldn't make any difference to the proportion of users who progress to using so called "hard" drugs. (whatever "hard" drugs are that is)....

People take drugs cos they feel good. Not because they've taken another. Drugs do not have a "voodoo" effect on the mind making it a total slave. People make choices. Sometimes we don't make the right ones. That's life.

:)

IMHO

• Upvote 2

My 1st time on all the drugs other than the booze was because i was with a group of ppl that were taking it what ever drug it was at the time and i only took it so i dident look like to out sider and be part of the group.

And IMHO i think that is how a lot of ppl 1st get into one drug or another, they are in the group and want to fit in and peer presser so they take it to fit in and not look like the out sider or the wimp that there mates will put shit on because they are too wussy to try it...

a hard drug imo is one that has to be man made like cocaine, herion, etc. and im with you on people making decisions luke, i just think that previous drug use makes people more open to the possibility of trying other drugs in the future. I for one didnt even want to go near cannabis until my mid teens because i was scared of all the shit i was spoon fed by my teachers and parents. I ended up being offered some by a mate and knocked it back on the basis i didnt know enough about it, so i went home and looked up some info online which said it was no worse than alcohol. few days later i tried it, found out it was much better than alcohol as a drug and because the next day i woke up feeling slightly hung over, but fantastic otherwise and without any mental damage what so ever, i figured most of what i had been told about drugs was bullshit and the rest was caused by the government driving prices up :) that in itself opened me up to trying other drugs and feeling the major difference between alcohol and pot had me heap keen to experience what the other drugs would feel like.

my experience can be seen as cannabis being a gateway drug or as i see it in which i had tried alcohol and nicotine years before pot and being lied to about pot made me rebel a bit. to be honest i dont know if being told the truth about pot as a teen would have influenced my current use of the drug, but im pretty sure i wouldnt have doubted the information about other drugs nearly as much, if at all which might have prevented me from considering taking so many more drugs :)

oh and for reference i have tried alcohol, nicotine, pot, speed, mushrooms, cocoa leaves and ecstacy so far, but im yet to get stoned from shrooms so im going to try them and acid any time as long as i know they wont kill me at the time and when im on my death bed im going to try anything i can get my hands on :punk: and while i know its hypocritical of me to condemn cocaine in the first sentence of this post while admitting to trying some leaves from the plant the drug is made from, its like comparing shade leaf to hash imo :)

edit: ozmade, peer pressure is a motherfucker hey :)

Theres an old saying " enjoy your drugs do not let them rule you ' ( or something like that).

Also another "for every high there has to be an equal and opposite low"

but my favourite is

" reality is an illusion caused by lack of drugs"

nicotine was my first vice followed briefly by the girl next door...

well if i was a scientist that accepted the gateway theory i would be a hypocrite to not think that alcohol and tobaco lead to heavier drugs :) 75% said they tried other drugs. shit that means 25% lied cause you all smoked pot and it the deffinition of drug is "any article, other than food, intended to affect the structure or any function of the body of humans or other animals."

I first started on alcohol, then pot. I think that the physical act of using cannabis and determining the truth of it for myself has changed my perspective on other drugs, not the result of using cannabis itself, which has led me to consider taking other drugs. Like, it's like crossing a barrier of perspective, where you were previously blocked out. I think just the liberation and freedom of choosing to take whatever I choose, as opposed to 'just saying no', changed my perspective on mind-altering substances forever.

some enlightened words there wdc, i esp agree with the statement that whatever drug you tried first can be considered the gateway drug an therefore that argument is bollocks.

luke's points have lot of creedence as well, anything that peeps take an change the state of your being can be considered drugs.

nicotine first for me then alcohol then weed, everything else after that...

peace

c

• Upvote 1

sites and reports that show pot is a gateway drug are usually very biased. Society and most of these studies group all illicit substances (including pot) into one category.. as if pot, shrooms, LSD and heroin somehow have all the same effect. Which, as a drug experimenter, I find hilarious (cynically). So what happens is, you have to break the law to get pot, and it is roughly on the same legal terms as other harder drugs, so that forces all drug users to group into the same category. As well, like Ruen said, alcohol and nicotine are often ignored by society as possible precursors. I love telling people "alcohol is not my drug of choice" because the majority of people go "wow, I've never thought of alcohol as a drug before."

---> Hypocrites frustrate me. Ignorant ones doubly so.

People don't realize that 'soberness' is in itself a chemical state, and it biases your perceptions and cognition. I mean, fuck, ask anyone who's gone through a simple mood swing, let alone depression or had a bipolar episode. And who ever said sober reality is the best reality! :rolleyes: Society says this is how your life is suppose to be: obedient, educated (not too much of course), submissive and never to hopeful of being anything more than a tiny gear in the economy which is o-so-much greater than your pathetic existence. Then of course, with your holiday from your job, you are told that to be happy you should buy a plane ticket and book a resort and serve the economy even more as a consumer. and when you're not holidaying, get yourself a new domestic car and domestic brand tv. Oh, and don't forget to fuck one another and produce more kids to feed the consumer machine with their efforts as well.

So of course you can't find an alternative meaning and happiness. That's baddd. That'll lead to the destruction of your life, don't you know! Didn't the government tell you?

Alternative thought is the gateway drug.

--drippingmint

Edited by drippingmint