Australian likely to escape death for cannabis

WWW.NEWS.COM.AU

By Simon Hayes and Pia Akerman

AN Adelaide man is likely to escape execution after being arrested in Singapore allegedly in possession of 495g of cannabis, just 5g under the death penalty limit.

Michael Karras, 38, was alleged to have had four slabs of a greenish matter in his flat when it was searched by officers of Singapore's Central Narcotics Bureau late last week.

If found guilty, he faces between five and 20 years in jail and between five and 15 strokes of the cane. Under the city-state's tough drug laws, trafficking 500g of cannabis would be punishable by death.

A Department of Foreign Affairs spokeswoman said Mr Karras and his family in Australia were being provided consular assistance.

Mr Karras's mother, Irene, said she could not discuss the charges levelled against her son. "You need to respect my wishes as a mother," she said from her Adelaide home.

"It's a small community and I have to live here."

Australian Van Tuong Nguyen was hanged in 2005 after his conviction for trafficking heroin, despite pleas for his life from John Howard and international human rights groups.

Nguyen was caught three years earlier at Changi Airport carrying nearly 400g of the drug while in transit from Cambodia to his home in Melbourne.

Singapore has regularly refused to buckle to international pressure on its legal system, not only turning down repeated requests for clemency in the Nguyen case, but also rejecting international appeals on other cases. The appropriateness of the death penalty is a taboo subject in Singapore, where executions receive little media attention.

In 1994, the island nation caned American teenager Michael Fay, accused of vandalising cars, while in 1997 it sentenced a New Zealander to jail and caning for overstaying his visa and taking drugs.

Probably the most controversial case was the 1994 execution of Filipina maid Flor Contemplacion, convicted of murder. Her death caused a diplomatic row between Singapore and The Philippines, but Singapore refused to budge.

Amnesty International says Singapore has the highest rate of executions per capita in the world, hanging eight people last year.

HAHA I bet hes glad hes scales weren't weighing out 5grams

i disagree, singapore is a nation that has to take the hardstance.. it is former thai/malay country that gained independance in the 70's..

Some facts about singapore most people dont knw.. its a secular nation and a city/country.

Also one of the highest levels of education in the world

and one of only 2 developed nations in Asia.. the other being japan.. i dont agree with how tought they are.. but they need to be when surrounded by.. Indonesia/Malaysia/Thailand/Cambodia all these drug nations- if they dont make it a hard transit point, the western world will not take trade from them seriously, and more a transport point of illicit products.. BUT gettin done for Weed is a joke.. im talking about the hard shit

You have got to be joking 123abc, this pseudo-cuntry of dog fucking nazi pigs murders Australian citizens 123 ! Where's your fucking head at ? Your on a PRO-DRUG site yet you defend this cunt pseudo-cuntries fuckwit nazi filthy drug laws or some of them? You can't have it both ways,you support there hard drug stance but not there MJ stance yet they see them as equivalents hence the murderous death penalty for MJ,5 more grams and he was on a one way ride to Stretchtheneckville.These nazi-fascist animals used to physically assault any male even in transit to somewhere else in the 70's and 80's,you could be just changing flights which happens a lot in Singapore as its a flight hub and these ANIMALS would hold males down with hair over their collar and cut it off-A FACT ! Fuck me its a fascist police state were even simple littering attracts gaol ,there a bunch of asian sellout wannabe white people dogs. :helpsmilie:

ps they employ the long drop like the murderous animal Shiite Iraqi nutters do and just like them every so often a head gets ripped off infact the last head rip off I believe was a CANNABIS CONVICTION MURDER PENALTY !!! :punk: :punk: :thumbdown:

im just saying.. ever region needs a hardstance place to blend in with western ideals to trade efficiently.. the nitty gritty

yes they murderd an australian citezen.. but law of the land.. its not like the austrailan citezen got busted chewing gum.. he got busted with an illicent product.. that is against the law- now i dont agree with the laws and i am against the cannabis prohibition.. i am born in a land where it grows wild EVERYWHERE.. i dont like being penalized for it- But so what

The price they pay for there wannabe white people attitude is a education rate that allows the underprivilaged asian majority to have a nation represent it self at a level higher than our own.. like u said- u cant have your cake and eat it too.. Remmber singapor is a city with a nation status...

You go to malaysia (former singapore) or indonesia.. there is no such thing as a stock exchange or health system for all.. Just like in thailand drugs run wild but in bangkok if u get busted its a big deal, singapore is just a malay city that isnt a shit whole like the ravaged ex british colongy of malaysia anymore..

yes to get busted with cannabis is a joke.. but then with heroin what do you expect.. a pat on the back- they have to make examples of people if not.. it would just be another "oh we can buy the police out like in most other asian countrys"... Remmber Australia Murders citezens of other nations too for far less crimes than cannabis possestion.. Iraqi's??

Edited by 123abc

see the thing with singapore is that its a mixture of british laws and migrants.. with chinese.malays.indonesians.thais and indians along with others.. coz its a small city- if they dont have those drug laws the drug syndicates get involved control the drug market and there for decide who runs the city/country- singapore in the 70's was a shit hole.. i dont agree with defending the drug policys But i dont see any other way to control it..

The finances brought in from drugs makes u a very powerful "bussiness man" its okay when u have a country with citys and countrys sides and a few points of economical distribution.. its hard when ur just 1

Bascially the tough drug laws are to stop new entreprenuers from being able to try and take a hit at gettin involved.. its to discourage all but those with balls of steel

Stop outsiders from gettin a market share.. unless they want to play with fire..

I dont agree with it one bit.. i just cant opt for a beter solution at the moment

Edited by 123abc

Geez louise.. Jess are you offa ya medication again.

I can't remember the last time I ran out of "medication" ::punk:: :helpsmilie:

ps I really HATE government MURDER,it gets me on my high-horse,as many here know courts of law are not about truth its about the best story that can be made to seem like the truth,additionally conviction is beyond a reasonable DOUBT over guilt in otherwords they might not be guilty.