Big Day Out Bans Australian Flag !

Jess, just to let you no- you claiming that your family has been here longer than most but you paid to come here.. makes you no beter than me- a skilled migrant basically just with a differant law in those times :thumbdown:

Convicts had no choice.. and Kouri people had no choice to kick people out against the british power house. Free Settlers have no claim to be more australian then me.. just more european then me =) .. It is only a political boundry and tax paying devision that makes a free settler whose family was in AU/NZ before 1900's an Aussie or a kiwi, Ur both the same thing till independance, free settlers from the UK coming down under. except the NZ territorys didnt have convicts- but thats not you

Yes loyalty to the nation that helped them come to this sun blessed nation (i.e the motherland) was the propganda the british used to round up soldiers from its other former colony's.. Just like hitler used the Pure Aryan Race tactic to trick the then barbarian club wearing Germans to have something to belive.

Most diggers went to fight for England because in reality- they still had direct family (aunty's uncles, cousins) still living in the UK so it would be unwise not to go to war to defend your blood.. plus the embedded patriotism one has in a nation when it is the worlds strongest empire (like americans at the moment)

The fact of the matter is we were peasants who were made to feel like we had something to owe the UK.. so we can make up the added man power when in need.. Thats not just australians (who had that mother land excuse) its also Indians, South Africans,New Zealanders, Nepalese*(never a colony) and other colonies of the british, some of them non anglo (so no mother land)

When Japan was knocking on our door in WW2.. the mother land was no where to be seen- locked up in a hole.. It was Anzacs fighting alongside The Vice Roys's Troops & Nepalese and Papuans and other local troops defending the front lines.

These are just reasons i belive England has locked australian into a sence of guilt that we owe them something because we never had a revolution like the US.

Dont get me wrong.. i think the rag is blood soaked peice of fabric like jess said above

We are debating a topic greater than the Big Day out Ban.. that was a diversion- but the topic still remains

Edited by 123abc

a]Listen up abc123 I don't see where I said it made me better? All I was stating was that my family PAID to come WILLINGLY to re-settle in OZ.

b]I abhor false/misdirected patriotism,like the Septic Tanks have its REVOLTING,and I find it another foul and disgusting trend yet again being imported from the worlds most criminal and foul country U.S.Gay.

c]What's a convict? Did they teach you at school that convicts got transported to NSW for stealing loaves of bread? Did they teach you that they were common criminals? ALL lies ,they were political activists,conquered people who would not accept occupation by the English (think N.Ireland) but not common crims. Think about it,the Poms at great expense sent people to the other side of the world for petty crimes,it doesn't make sense.

d]What has Iran got to do with this thread ? Nothing,other than illustrating a point ,that SHEEPLE have their attention easily diverted away from real and important issues by trivialities.

e] Someone once said ,can't remember who, but, Patrotism/Nationalism is the last resort of tyrants(sic) ,hence the fuckwit Howards scurilous use of it as a divisive device.

f] I'll correct a point I made ,its not a convict flag its a flag of Imperial/colonial domination and subjugation covered with blood and lies. :thumbdown:

I prefer this flag it has meaning for TRUE patriots not false racist xenophobia.

http://www.helensburg-p.schools.nsw.edu.au/eureka_files/eureka.gif :doh:

Yes jess but to imply that, if unless you are kouri- that you have been here longer than most because your family had a financial status greater than others. would mean that there is a chance that your family involved it self in the tyranny of the british to have that advantage of money..

That is if ur not british ur self.. just stating facts nothing personal

PEOPLE OF THE FIRST FLEET

On the 13th May 1787 the First Fleet of 11 ships set sail from Plymouth, England, for the shores of Botany Bay.

* On board the ships there were believed to have been:

568 men

191 women

13 children

all of whom were transported as convicts

* To guard the prisoners, sail the ships and run the new colony there were:

247 Royal Marines (soldiers)

233 merchant seaman

20 civil officers (lawyers, administrators, clergymen, doctors).

27 wives and 19 children.

HMS Charlotte

The crimes and ages of the convicts were many and varied.

NAMES

OFFENSE

SENTENCE

Mary Adams

Stealing clothes and saucepans

7 years

Elizabeth Beckford

Stealing cheese

7 years

Mary Branham

Stealing silk handkerchiefs

7 years

Thomas Bryant

Highway Robbery

Death*

Richard Collier

Armed Robbery of clothes

7 years

Elizabeth Dalton

Stealing linen handkerchiefs

7 years

Thomas Eccles

Stealing bacon and bread

Death+

William Farley

Stealing sugar from warehouse

7 years

Margaret Fownes

Assault and theft of linen

Death*

James Grace

Stealing silk clothes

7 years

Mary Greenwood

Highway robbery

Death*

William Hares

Highway robbery

Death*

Thomas Hill

Shoplifting

7 years

John Jeffries

Stealing a silver watch

7 years

John Hudson

Stealing pistol and clothes

7 years

Elizabeth Haywood

Stealing dress and bonnet

7 years

Elizabeth Leonard

Highway robbery

Death*

John Mansfield

Stealing pigs

7 years

Thomas McLean

Armed robbery

Death*

Phebe Norton

Stealing spoons and linen

7 years

John Owen

Stealing table knives and forks

7 years

Sarah Partridge

Stealing rows of silk

Death*

Thomas Pritchard

Stealing lead from a building

7 years

Anne Read

Highway robbery

Death+

Daniel Rogers

Stealing silk clothes

7 years

James Ruse

Stealing silver watches

Death*

Thomas Stretch

Stealing plough and harrow tines

Death*

Moses Tucker 35

Obtaining money by false means

7 years

Edward Varndell

Stealing two horses

Death*

Mary Watkins

Armed robbery of clothes

7 years

James Wright

Highway robbery

Death*

*Death sentence commuted to 7 years transportation

+Death sentence commuted to life imprisonment.

post-6835-1169958670_thumb.gifpost-6835-1169958670_thumb.gif

I don't think they were affluent ,more like making a get away from the hated English,the part of Scotland from which we came from was renown for raiding the English so :thumbdown:

Hey Posty just because the manifest stated x-crime like steal cheese does not mean that this was the crime or more correctly the audacity to want your conquered/stolen land back but English guilt prevented white genocide so deport them to the end of the earth (Oz) was the action used as it was virtually impossible to return and squat on their own land again.

Flag argument at the SMH online Radar Blog

By the way Posty its interesting to learn more about the crew I know for a fact there were Chinese &Greek sailors and probably some Phonecians(Lebo's)(? not sure about the Lebs but they were renown sailors) :doh: