termite problems in the bush

100 ltr grow bags clear, area underneath it to bear dirt ,amonia around the area ,little plastic on ground ,then grow bag atop of that .

re apply under plastic with amonia just on sexing just for no reason as a precution measure.

i grew on mid north coast areas also in bush when younger ! i know the area like the back of my hand and know all through that area is 2 nd gen timber hence termite problem ( 3/4 gen timber in some areas ) always worked for me and my late father ,cant explain why it works , as this trick was handed down to me and it has always worked so never questioned why or how especially the old man!!!

It's been a while between drinks for this thread but wondering if anyone here has tried using the Termite baiting stations?

I grow guerilla in Victorian hills and lost a plant to them last year. With the exceptional dry predicted this summer and the fact I've increased the amount of water my plants will receive dramatically I'm figuring my plants will be an absolute beacon for them (along with the wombats and wallabies) with their soil being the only moist soil about.

Anyone used them before and what did you think?

I worked for a pest control company for a few years and installed a lot of baiting stations around houses and a different style of station directly on trees and walls of houses.

They work to attract the white ants into them by using timbers/bait that is more appetising to them than the food available.

Once they are using the food/timber in the station you need to add another product that will slowly kill the whole colony.

I forget the name of the product, you mix it with water as it is in powder form/paper product and mixed looks a little like porridge.

You add that to the station and they eat it, take it back to the nest and pretty soon that is all they can eat, it messes with their growth cycle and they can no longer eat harder food/timber.

Feed them for a few weeks then stop adding anything to the stations and the colony will die of starvation.

• Upvote 1

You can get a pelletised product that you add to the station. It releases carbon dioxide which then leaches into the soil and will extend the effectiveness of the station out to around a 5mtrs radius.

If the white ants come across the scent trail it attracts them back to the station.

They also need water, so keep the ground moist. add some water to the ground on the far side of the station, the opposite side to that of your plant.

You want the ants to find your station, not your plant.

This will only really help protect your plant/s from one direction, the ants may be coming from any, so more than 1 station would be advisable.

• Upvote 1

A while between drinks again but again this season termites have devastated my bush babies much worse than my 2 previous bush seasons

In one plot I've lost over half my plants and each time I've visited have seen more go down. I know this is the hazard of growing in the Australian bush but this year they've been worse than ever.

Around a month ago I tried stuffing Neem Cake around the base of the stem and thought that was working but alas not. Many of the recent victims had Neem coated stems.

I've placed baiting stations in many of the active holes and had them take bait from one briefly but not consistantly. I figure the only way to deal with this is to eliminate the nearby colonies and these stations will be the only way I can do that. I will be working hard from now thru winter to see if I can achieve this, if not, I don't think it's worth the work required for the return.

post-55268-0-03197500-1487478089_thumb.jpg

Another thing I've done to hopefully protect the remaining girls is to dig the soil back from the base of the stem like this ^^ I got the idea from an American pdf I found on protecting fruit trees from them. When the termites attack a plant they ringbark it just below the soil surface so the first you notice is when it topples over following it being ringbarked. the plant is effectively dead at this stage so exposing the base of the stem to light should in theory save the plant... Here's hoping!

post-55268-0-97431200-1487478120_thumb.jpg

My 2 Tranquil Elephanteser remix. The plant on the right was shaping up be a monster, the planmt on the left has been dug out exposing the base of the stem as above. Hopefully it will make it thru!

Have any other outdoor growers been hit by the these buggers this year?