termite problems in the bush

Get some pidgeons pest controller or fortune 500 and use at double strength(apply with pump spray bottle at base of stem and surrounding soil), bit expensive but always does the job, dont mix it around the house its got a toxic 6 rating, apply at about 8 weeks and again prior to flowering. No more termites/white ants.

Ive heard also of people using a ring (2" deep)of sump oil around the plant but thats too messy for me.

Hope I never smoke any of that!

gday bush buggered,i also live on v north coast(could be nieghbours)and have had v same problem when i first moved here i was told by a local to first find the termite mounds around your grow area knock the top off and flood the little bastards with diesel dig a 4 inch deep trench around grow area far enough away not to effect your plants and soak it with diesel(might pay to repeat during the season)not very enviromentally friendly but gotta do what ya gotta do i havnt a problem since ,then again the termites might not like my weed....good luck which ever way you go.

Here's a toxin free suggestion.

Try planting close to an ant colony. Ants and termites are natural enemies. Ants kill termites on sight. No guarantees the ants won't eat a few leaves but thats a small price to pay for on-site security.

Smash any nearby termite mounds and spread sugar around the openings. I've seen ants find the entrances before the termites fix them and whole colony is destroyed in days. I don't know which ants are best but the little buggers are pretty easy to find.

Edited by Outlaw

Sorry. Posted after only reading 3 pages. Just finished the whole thread and I see others have mentioned ants. Might do some further research on Black Ants. Termites are a problem virtually anywhere you go in this country. When I was up in the north I saw termite mounds as tall as houses. Like most bugs they love the hot weather.

Still think digging your plot close to a Black Ant nest is the go. Thats what I'm going to try. Might spread a bit of sugar around the plants occasionally to attract the scouts and I'll have paid miniature security guards watching my treasure. Ants make clear paths so if you see any they are probably near an ant trail which will lead you to their nest.

I was driving along the highway and contemplating cheap solutions to this thorny issue and came up with an idea. A lot of people use cheap water containers for pots. Just cut the top off and make a few perforations in the base. These containers have tap fittings. You can buy the plastic taps at hardware stores and camping shops. If I fitted a tap instead of making holes in the base I could turn the drainage on and off. Cutting off access for the termites who would then have to climb up the container or eat through it.

Hardware stores also sell cheap plastic hosing of different sizes. If I buy some of that and attach it tightly onto the tap the excess water will run away from the pots and drain away in another spot. The ground under the pots will then be dry and less attractive to termites.

Plastic taps and hose are cheap as chips. Might need a bit of length to the hose but if a few pots are close together all the hoses could be joined up to a single thicker hose. One that takes all of the excess away. Thereby saving a few dollars.

Just an idea.

Edited by Outlaw

Hi all.

Good to see this thread is still alive..Haven't been on here for ages, i tried posting this before but it would'nt work..Maybe its cos i havent been on here for eons, and the mods are sussing me out..Anyway i'll try again..Zappalover, i bet everyone that lives on the north coast NSW has neighbours that are growing yahndi, so hello to you, i might be just over your back fence..Outlaw, your idea about using containers with taps sounds ok..Problem for me is i use 100 litre grow bags..So its chemicals for me..The last few years i've had no problem with termites, mainly because there has been so much rain and the termites have'nt been hunting moisture, problem with that of course is all that fricken rain has stuffed the girls..This year is looking much drier though, so back to lugging tons of water, and wrestling with termites..I'm 60yo in a few months, and i reckon i'll drop dead in the forest one day, with a drum of water under each arm..lol.. Who said growing is'nt addictive..The choppers have been bad around here for the last few years, they might not have got me, but they have certainly had me scared shitless a few times.. Anyway, its good to be back on here having a squizzy..

Twunit.....aka Bush Buggered..