termite problems in the bush

from what i have been reading they can and sometimes will eat through plastic pipes to get to wood. there is a stainless steel mesh just smaller than the termites head(biggest part of their body) that is being used during building construction of homes in termite prone areas. after Chrissy I will dig out the web site for it. probably expensive as it is marine grade stainless steel.

there is also a certain type of crushed rock that the termites cannot lift to make a passage. and cannot travel through as it cuts their body. you will never get rid of them, just have to learn to control them and live with them. I read those bags are the go, so long as there is no cellulose in the material.

just remembered. termites don't like building bridges if they can find another way to food.(too exposed to sunlight and predators) a sheet of corro on the ground steal some plastic milk crates and put your pots on them. keep the pots off the ground and most times they will move to easier pastures.

"The fastest way to kill the attacking termites is an application of a liquid insecticide mix to the soil around the plants (sometimes before planting). Though just about any registered 'termiticide' can be used, it is probably best to look at something with "imidacloprid" which isn't (yet) known to be very toxic to us. Imidacloprid is often used for aphids, leaf-eating insects and fleas on dogs. You'd need to look at the product label's fine print to find it. There may not be any products labelled for termite use in your area, so you may find that nothing can be legally applied, unless done by a professional pest manager."

Doctor DON

I wouldn't give a shit about the law, but I would do my homework on health implications. Vibrations upset termites. Maybe the use of some lateral thought on that could lead you somewhere. I do like the non-toxic soloutions myself.

Rock on.

Get some pidgeons pest controller or fortune 500 and use at double strength(apply with pump spray bottle at base of stem and surrounding soil), bit expensive but always does the job, dont mix it around the house its got a toxic 6 rating, apply at about 8 weeks and again prior to flowering. No more termites/white ants.

Ive heard also of people using a ring (2" deep)of sump oil around the plant but thats too messy for me.

Very interesting. Lot of advice on poison to use, so choose your poison & choose a couple used in different manners that kill differently.

Baits: I would wander around to find any nests or trees that have been badly attacked nearby & put baits around them, not near your plants. Reckon that's only going to attract them to your plants.

The tin: why not cut out a small square (corrogated shud be good & good for drainage, paint it with poison and put it under the pot or plant it underneath the pot in the hole. Gotto help some and yer plants will love the rust!

Many solutions, many dead termites.