An orchid I recently bloomed....

Here are some shots of my Stanhopea oculata... Called the "upside down orchids" for obvious reasons....

The blooms only last one to a few days at most, and are heavily scented. This particular species smells like a old style chemists shop IMO, but there are many other fragrances in this wonderful genus of about 50 or so species.

Anyway, here's the photos, I'll also post another orchid I flowered recently too, as I'm addicted to these wonderful plants.... :reallyexcited:

post-414-1140785305_thumb.jpg

post-414-1140785405_thumb.jpg

post-414-1140785471_thumb.jpg

And here is the other one, being Cattleya porphyroglossa, an uncommon cattleya species I was sent by mistake and subsequently bloomed to my great pleasure. This one is heavily scented too, and smells like cinnamon and spices.... gorgeous.

Hope you liked that, and if you would like to learn more about orchids, just ask me... I'm totally and utterly devoted to these plants, which make drugs look like childs toys as far as addictiveness go.... :smoke

p.s. one of the photos shows "cattleya intermedia" on the label, which is not correct... that's what I bought it as expecting to get, but instead got this little beauty.... Not rare as such, but only introduced a few times in cultivation, with all other plants being either mericlones or divisions of those few originals. Not many people grow this one, as it's not as fancy as say, cattleya labiata or cattleya intermedia var aquinii, but I love it nonetheless :thumbsup

post-414-1140785815_thumb.jpg

post-414-1140786070_thumb.jpg

Hmmm spectacular flowers Luke.....quite a marvel really, such is the splendor of flora :flowers:

i seem to recall people have actually resorted to murder to gain posession of a particular orchid :)

fascinating that a plant can captivate the human emotions, do you talk to them Luke?

I know i talk to all my plants daily lol

;)