Small flies and light height in flower

Hi guys,

Got 2 problems with the bubbies (1) My plants are in flower and the top is

growing ever closer to the lamp which is as high as it will go and I dont know what to do as it will go closer to the top of the gantry and I dont want to burn the heads. Should I bend the top over and tie it down..

(2) I put it in flower about 20 days ago 26/1 and I see little tiny flies are swarming around the plant, especially the base. I have given the area a general spray but don't want to be ingesting flyspray. They are grown in soil and coco, not a hydro set up..

N

Edited by power

Thanks for the scarid fly info did a seach on that and got heaps of info. Will try the garlic and tie down the plant. From reading posts they are hard to get rid of so will might try the garlic but if that does not work will treat roots with a scarid-killer additive (Maverik) by Yates in waterings. 2. Hang Napethelene Mothball Sticks + Sticky-fly traps in the grow-room.

N

Edited by power

yeah tie em down ofcourse.

mortein house and garden for the adults. spray em around the base, dont need to spray buds.

but killing the larvae is your problem. they cause the issues not the adults. i use microbial drench at 5ml per litre of water (high dose) ph balance to 7 and it does the job (apply every 3days for 14 days). i just successfully treated an infestation in this manner. second crop ive had to deal with the buggers

there is no such thing as the old scarid fly drench on themarket. there is azadrench which is 75% neem extract. so its safe but i dont know if it works cause ive never tried it

maverik is a pesticide spray and is not designed as a drench for the medium. correct me if im wrong anyone?

also what medium are u using? if its rockwool make sure you cover it with plastic (panda) to prevent algae which attracts the flies in the first place

Edited by keepleft

hey paul the microbial worked but it takes time and a HIGH dose. the recommended product dose is 2ml per litre to treat root diseases. after speaking with trev from hydromasta who makes it i ran the nute tank dose at 2ml per litre but drenched the medium with 5ml per litre and regularly (i did it every 3 days), while spraying the adults with mortein. the life cycle is 14 days so i kept up the drenching for 14 days. oh and btw if ur going to buy it go to ebay as trev sells it for 75 for 5lts! which is half what i used to pay from the rip off stores.

but even though there were no more signs of the fly's, i found that the pyth still wasnt completely cured).

so i invented my ultimate scarid fly / pythium drench that i have been using with great success is 5ml per litre microbial with 5ml per 10 litre of oxyplus (h202) with fongarid (20% of recommended dose in rockwool). with 1/4 strengh nutes and ph balanced to 6. i dont like drenching regularly with high ph and no nute mix's cause i feel that it affects the plants health. but using that cocktail of chemicals i killed the fly's and the pythium they carry. and things looks nice and dark green

as u can see though its not a very 'organic' way to treat things!

Edited by keepleft

i have used maverik as a spray and to drench my medium, worked a treat and killed off every sacrid i had leaving my plants to be as healthy as they could get ;)

i wouldnt use it during flowering unless you were only 2-3 weeks into 12/12 and intended on giving the plants a really good flushing and putting the plant under a shower or something to get any chemicals off the plant itself....