oxyplus vs dm guardian vs microbial vs pythoff

ok im just trying to confirm what is the best product in peoples experience to

1. prevent pythium and scarid fly

i have been using microbial for about 4 months and have gone through heaps of it. its expensive at $130 for 5 lts. i found it helped with the pythium and killed the infestation of scarid i had in one crop. but didnt stop the bastards coming back in the next one!

so i was thinking about trying oxyplus (about $80 for 5lts). i thought it would give me the double impact of a system steriliser and oxygenation. not sure if it prevents scarid fly though?

tom said use dm guardian which i can get for $50 for 5lts. so that seems best bang for my buck. i also like that its systemic.

the other alternaive is pythoff. about same price as oxyplus. not sure if pythoff works against the fly larvae though?

im more concerned about performance than value for money. but i tend to go through the stuff with 600 litres of reservoirs to keep topping up!

whats the consensus?

thanks

Edited by keepleft

The consensus is that if you don't use something very soon the fungus gnats will be the cause of your having to replace all your plants, the problem at the moment is not what the best treatment available is but what your hydro store has on the shelf to deal with them.

If you have a Bunnings nearby they will be open today so you can get some Maverick, if not head down the hydro shop tomorrow morning and get whatever they recommend and use it the way they say to.

:blink:

try a insecticide as you got bugs most of these buggers fly around , stay under leaves so i dont see how oxy pythoff or even gardian will help. gardian is said to be good for healthy roots i use canna zym so no need for it . you need to eradicate with Maverick from bunnings or somthing stronger then use gardian pythoff or zym to keep them away . Does anyone know how gardian works as in whats init . is it an AUS company because alot of there testing seems to be done in canada .

You should look at the temperature of your res first. Heat is the main way you make pests comfortable in your growroom. Try to keep your res under 21 degrees.

You will find that a cool growroom and res. will suffer infestations less often and when they do they will be a lot less severe because pests breed at a lower rate the cooler the conditions are.

tom - im using microbial at 1ml per litre in the solution. have been for 4 months as previously advised, i also use it as a drench of the medium at 2ml per litre ph balanced to 7. but as i said it didnt prevent the fly's coming back.

im treating the fly's with mortein house and garden which i found kills the adults fine. and i use the microbial as a drench to kill the larvae, which takes about 14 days.

my main concern is finding a product which will PREVENT the fly's coming back. microbial is great for the pythium but ive found it wont prevent the fly's coming back after u kill them. i know in ur prevoius post u said u use gaurdian so im thinking of giving it a try after this bottle of microbial finishes.

thc - yes the insecticide kills the flying adults (ive used both mortein house and garden and confidor with good results with both). but its the larvae that im most concerned about and thats why i was thinking either oxyplus or guardian instead of microbial?

nath - 600 lts of reservoir is 200lts for each one over 3 G-rooms

mj addict - re the res temp. impossible to keep it under 21 degrees at the moment in summer. it has intake cold air fans on them and also white panda film to reflect heat. average temp of 25 degrees is best i can hope for. with temps up to 30! in the hot summer days. but i do note that even in winter where the res temp is 18, pythium can still be a problem if i dont use a system steriliser.

The thing that drives me nuts is that i bleached every inch of the room and equipment, let off a mortein control bomb (which is supposed to last 3 months!), have pantyhose on all fan vents, and also use microbial at 1ml per litre and still the bastard fly's came back into the medium in the next crop.

Edited by keepleft

heres the answer

"Scarid Fly are a real problem and there is really

nothing on the market that is 100% effective in control.

The Oxy would have a greater effect than the Guardian but is pretty chemical

so your call. Guardian will work in a similar way to the microbial but is

not a real soloution.

There are a couple of scarid fly drenches around but the ones that are

registered and on the market are not very strong. I have told you about one

called Azadrench which is made in melbourne but not available from many

stores as its not registered."

so it seems that oxy would be stronger than guardian and microbial, but none are 100% effective at preventing scardid fly.

azadrench i know of, its not that expensive and available at a few stores around

and for those who use microbial - just letting you know that hydromasta (manufacturer) now has an ebay store and u can get 5lt for $95 which is almost 50% less than the hydro stores!

((((((( The thing that drives me nuts is that i bleached every inch of the room and equipment, let off a mortein control bomb (which is supposed to last 3 months!), have pantyhose on all fan vents, and also use microbial at 1ml per litre and still the bastard fly's came back into the medium in the next crop.)))))

Where are your cuttings coming from ?? many bugs enter your growroom right at the start on the clones as either eggs or the clones are allready carring a disease like pythium which is systemic and can be passed on from mother to clone .

If you want a truely clean room , have a mother clone room or area that is total sterile and bug free , and I take stock from this room only to populate the flower rooms , from reading your posts I would say your stock is allready contaminated before you start a flower cycle , I have mine set up where the mothers are perfect in every way and the room is 100% pathogen and bug free , I take clones in this room and and keep the best 4 for the next mums which means very good stock and its like they are quarrentined , I have had not a single whitefly , aphid spidermite , nothing has shown up in the grows from cuttings that came out of that room , I truely believe the Mother , cutting and start stage , is the most important of all .

Rod

mj addict - re the res temp. impossible to keep it under 21 degrees at the moment in summer.  it has intake cold air fans on them and also white panda film to reflect heat.  average temp of 25 degrees is best i can hope for. with temps up to 30! in the hot summer days.  but i do note that even in winter where the res temp is 18, pythium can still be a problem if i dont use a system steriliser. 

You can use all the pesticides and cleansing agents you want but until you get your res. temps under control you will continue to have problems. 25-30 is just way too high a range.

GHow about gettting some litre plastic bottles and freeze water in them and drop one in your tank whenever you check it. This is a common method to keep res. temps down.