Pruning with spider mites?

you dont need to delay flowering because you have spider mite. switch them over as you would normally however use something to get rid of them straight away. i use OMITE. its strong and effective. will kill them instantly. as long as you dont mind using strong pesticides. add 1 gram per litre and spray all over plant. spray when lights are off. then repeat treatment in 7 days. if they come back, do it 7 days later. one thing you will find with mites, is even when you kill em, they can keep coming back because they are all over the place outdoors (in the lawn etc), and easily get in through ventilation. but using the right stuff u will be able to keep em under control . be careful to dose the omite correctly as you can burn your plants. best to use digital scales if you have them to weigh it exactly, if you dont have scales, then err on the side of caution as less is best. also you can get it in small satches or big tubs.

Thanks for all of your advice on getting rid of the mites, I have read many threads and articles on how to get rid of them. My home made mix was used because it was after the stores had closed.

I have a rather small GR so I don't think predator mites would be cost effective. Small enought to treat every leaf if need be (mosy likely).

Are there any plants that the mites might prefer to my girls?

mites dont like the wind. if you have a recirculating fan blowing through the leaves it helps deter them. generally you will find that the plants that receive the least wind will have most mite. also the sickest or weakest plants get attacked the most.

im not sure though whether they prefer other plants to mj. are u suggesting putting something in there so that you hope they will move home?

What’s the matter Chev? Cat got your tongue, stu stu stuttering?

You were so quick to charge in screaming “Yi ha grandma, that’s bullshit” yesterday? I noticed you were online when I had already posted my reply, but atlas no answer…?! Need more ‘thinking’ time…?

Since you so quick to dismiss me, why don’t you enlighten all of us (especially Systems Agriculture, Horticulture, Landscape Management Conservation etc students) with your extensive qualifications and field experience with predatory mites and IPM considering you stated “Been there, done that”. Or are you just a regular hack who doesn’t know when to keep there mouth shut?

And yes Tom, I already know you have used them…Sometimes (as much as you might hate it…?) you just have to take your hand out of another person’s pocket…

Yes perrye75,

I was concidering placing a plant with nice juicy leaves in with my infected plants, treating all the other plants with a miteacide hoping that lots of them will move to the untreadted plant, then taking the non-treated plant outside and shaking it a few times a day.

Sorry about the spelling and stuff tonight, I just sifted my seeds to get a burner, it has been a long sober week.

Edited by zaranath1

What’s the matter Chev? Cat got your tongue, stu stu stuttering?

You were so quick to charge in screaming “Yi ha grandma, that’s bullshit” yesterday? I noticed you were online when I had already posted my reply, but atlas no answer…?! Need more ‘thinking’ time…?

Since you so quick to dismiss me, why don’t you enlighten all of us (especially Systems Agriculture, Horticulture, Landscape Management Conservation etc students) with your extensive qualifications and field experience with predatory mites and IPM considering you stated “Been there, done that”. Or are you just a regular hack who doesn’t know when to keep there mouth shut?

And yes Tom, I already know you have used them…Sometimes (as much as you might hate it…?) you just have to take your hand out of another person’s pocket

Cat ain't got my tongue at all. I'm well aware of the location of the beneficial bug co. Congrats at being a uni student/graduate, and your opinion. Everyone here is entitled to an opinion and I gave mine and still will always use predator mites in leiu of pesticides.

And aren't you a lucky ducky to have access to them for free, if I had a medal I would give it to you......

As to your second post......please :peace: I'm a moderator here, and a mother to a 3 year old. I don't get time to reply sometimes, even if I've been over the subject. Put in the fact it's new years and that I really DGAF right now, and that's why I haven't replied. I have a life.

I didn't charge in, and sorry, still haven't really allocated any 'thinking' time to your reply as it's not that important to me to reply back to someone who wants to get hostile and nasty. And I think you best explain the last line of that post too, I know someone who's pretty keen to reply to it!!

Flaming is not allowed nor welcome on these boards, so I'd suggest taking my post with a grain of salt and then forgetting about it or insulting/degrading posts from this point in will be removed. Have a nice day lol

zaranath dont worry about introducing any other plant to be the victim, once you hit the mites with omite at 1 gram per litre on both sides of the leaves whatever is there will be dead!!! there will be nothing left to shake off outside!

however, note that omite wont prevent them coming back. its very effective in killing whats present but wont deter future outbreaks. ive found however that if you treat the affected plants twice (in 7 day increments) thats pretty much it for that crop - PROVIDED - that you have adequate air movement. if you dont have adequate air movement over the plants they will keep coming back as they love it. make sure you get a fan from bunnings to recirulate air around your room.

and also they are more common in summer, they love the hot dry atmosphere.

Thanks for the congratulations Chev and I hope your kids have the same opportunity as me and every Australian in regards to tertiary education as I’m sure you would want the best for your children. As for the medal don’t send it as I will only hock it to pay off my HEC’s.

I never asked you about the location of the bug company but if that’s all you have to offer about your perceived knowledge on predatory mites than that answers my question.

Yes you’re a Moderator, wooo but that doesn’t give you any special status outside of this site in the real world… Just like everyone else you’re entitled to an opinion in this great democracy but don’t hide behind the facade of a busy lifestyle and kids. Do you think you’re the only person in this country/world to have kids, a mortgage, bills to pay, girl problems, credit cards, general hassles in your life etc? So please…

Walk in to any pub say Blacktown, Parramatta etc and start shooting off something is bullshit without proper knowledge of the topic and let’s see what response you will get and how you will handle the situation. What are you going to say “I’m too busy” or get your medals out of your bag and the Kiwi’s you just pissed off will accept that?

I suggest that because of your extreme busy life style maybe you should just concentrate on your kids and day job before declaring something is bullshit. Do some research, get to know the topic and next time suggest something like, “Are you sure about that SG” or “Can you tell me more about that”-just remember a feather will always be more effective than the sledge hammer approach.

There’s many ways to express your self than just straight out saying its bullshit. I don’t think your kids go around declaring everything that is bullshit on topics that they don’t understand. I’m sure when your children don’t understand a topic in school I would assume they would ask politely (like most other children) for more information regarding the topic…

All the best and I hope that if any of your children go to uni you would have forgotten about your hung up's/displeasure/jealously over tertiary institutions so your children can make the most of there lives.

Edited by sydneyguy

Sydneyguy, you need to be aware that making personal attacks on other members is not permitted at this site and further transgressions may result in the removal of your posts.

And yes Tom, I already know you have used them…Sometimes (as much as you might hate it…?)
I have only had one infestation of spider mites in 28 years of growing, I prefer prevention to cure, but I have helped many other growers with them over the years and most have been very happy with the results from using predator mites, especially as they deal with the problem in a few days instead of needing to strip all the plants out, spray them, re-do any tying down, etc, etc. Predator mites don't have a withholding period as the chemicals do, you don't need to worry about getting over spray on you skin and in your eyes and you don't need to repeat the treatment to make sure of them (if it works) or worry about the mite building up a resistance to the predators. Are you sure you are not just opposing the predator mites just because you have had a bad experience with their supplier?

you just have to take your hand out of another person’s pocket…
I don't have my hand in anyone’s pocket, maybe you had should explain that comment further or consider retracting it.

:peace: