How to deter wallabies and possums...

I read on a previous post that a person wanted advice on how to deter wallabies etc from eating one's plants. However this person was after advice on how to deter wallabies through 'physical' means. Before turning a outdoor set up into a native death trap here is some advice on how to deter wallabies and possums in a more humane method.

THINGS YOU CAN DO TO SAVE YOUR GARDEN

All of the following tips have worked to different levels of success and are well worth trying.

*Any spray used has to be re-sprayed every day for up to 5 days and again after rain, to be successful.

1. Spray made of Chilli, Garlic, Onions and water. (stronger the better) Mix ingredients, boil for 1/2 hour, strain and use in a garden sprayer. (also good for Aphids and Hoppy bugs)

2. “Feverfew” planted around the garden can help deter Possums and Wallabies.

3. Surrounding your garden or covering your plants with chicken wire or wire netting.

4. Chilli powder, or Curry powder, or Mustard powder sprinkled on roses may deter Possums.

5. Possums do not like strong smells like granulated chicken poo, Naphthalene flakes or Camphor. Place Naphthalene flakes or Camphor in containers with holes in it, but keep out of reach of children and pets.

6. “Quassia Chip” have a bitter taste and strong smell. This one comes highly recommended, but be warned, even though it is natural, it is still a poison and could make pets and the Possum unwell. (keep away from children)

To make a spray: Soak 25 gms of “quassia Chip” overnight, boil chips in 2 litres of water for 1/2 hour. When cool strain yellow liquid, then dilute with 3 parts water.

(“Quassia Chips” are available from some chemists, health food shops and herb nurseries.)

Note: Never mix chemicals or poison, always read directions, keep away from children and pets.

http://hwy.com.au/~wiresmdg/facts/facts-possumroof.html

If Brushtail Possums are destroying your plants - here's a solution from Melbourne Zoo…

"Several Lilly Pillys were planted as part of the front entrance redevelopment. They suffered major possum damage. The solution was chillies ..more specifically..Tabasco Sauce. The plants were sprayed with a diluted Tabasco mixture - and obviously once bitten, twice shy - the possums left them alone from then on."

http://www.floraforfauna.com.au/document.asp?id=124#possums

Hope this can help outdoor guys even though Im usually indoors :devilred: !

i've had trouble with rabbits and i went to a sporting goods store, and they sell animal scents there. like coyote urine, so find something like that, the scent of a predator, and the animals will steer clear for fear of the animal. the only concievable problem would be the actual predators showing up, so dont do it if its in your backyard and youve got small pets or kids

Electric fences can be run by portable battery operated devices. I tested the one I used 9about twice the size of a beer can), and it sparked stronger than a 240 volt heavy duty job. Run the wires close to each other. It sucked up 4 D size batteries a month is all.

My personal choice, and I've mentioned it here a number of times is to use cow bones with lots of flesh left on them. I used to butcher our own meat and so left lots of meat on the bones for just this purpose.

There were lots of dingoes in the area I grew, so I wired the bones all around the crop using heavy gauge wire. The dingoes came from miles around, and by placing fresh bones to the area every now and then, the dogs continued to make it their regular camp.

A lump of turd or two carried in would probably help, but turning the crop site into a permanent dingo camp meant no grazing animal came within coo-ee of the spot.

I had serious wallaby problems until then, after this I grew that spot for years, pulled the electirc fence down, and never had another plant touched.

I lived a kilometre or so away through the scrub and could hear the dogs fighting over the bones at night. No self respecting wallaby would go near the place.

But of course you have to have a healthy dingo population in the area to being with.

cheers

rob