Pictorial...How to clean Coco, Perlite, Geolite.

personally

i got a 160 ltr ex res

i use this for me used medium

remove from pot shake the bejesus out of it over 160 ltr res

basicially left with the stem and a few of the bigger roots

maybe a clump no bigger than a coffee cup

i then double dose the res of medium with cobra

its a benefical enzyme and trichoderma

all up 60 diff goodies

over 4 days to a week

i see the roots dissappear

i just turn the coco daily in the 160 bucket

i then add fresh coco

and flush the pots full of medium prior to planting in it

all the best

bil

• Upvote 4

Ballsy... nah, in the olden days the coppers didn't come round at 3 am to see what people have put out for the garbos and the local council didn't do checks to see if people were using their garbage, greenwaste and recycling bins appropriately... used to be, a person's rubbish bins were private.

...be yellin at em an shit like "mind yer business'!! lol cheers :bongon:

Seems like a lot of hassle for little benefit. If you are running good bacteria in coco coir, then the first time using the medium if the first round of inoculation, so you don't really get the full benefits from the good bacteria till the second use. Also the process of removing the old roots is pointless as they are all food, using a product like cannazym or other enzyme products that speed up the breaking down of roots and help active beneficial micro-organisms.

If you don't run good bacteria and you run a dead rez, running ph buffered salutation with hydrogen peroxide of 4%  - 6 % for 24 hours , will kill anything in the medium to reused it safely. 

The only reason that you HAVE to get rid of coco coir, perlite, clay balls medium is if you have TMV Tobacco Mosaic Virus. But if you have TMV, then your getting rid of nearly anything in your room. That is why you don't ever smoke Tobacco in your room as TMV doesn't die from fire. 

Good Luck 

• Upvote 1

Seems like a lot of hassle for little benefit. If you are running good bacteria in coco coir, then the first time using the medium if the first round of inoculation, so you don't really get the full benefits from the good bacteria till the second use. Also the process of removing the old roots is pointless as they are all food, using a product like cannazym or other enzyme products that speed up the breaking down of roots and help active beneficial micro-organisms.

If you don't run good bacteria and you run a dead rez, running ph buffered salutation with hydrogen peroxide of 4% - 6 % for 24 hours , will kill anything in the medium to reused it safely.

The only reason that you HAVE to get rid of coco coir, perlite, clay balls medium is if you have TMV Tobacco Mosaic Virus. But if you have TMV, then your getting rid of nearly anything in your room. That is why you don't ever smoke Tobacco in your room as TMV doesn't die from fire.

Good Luck

agreed I am getting great results using coco do the 2nd n 3rd run at the moment without replacing with new

There was some root matter in it but it excessive, it also had time to break down a bit

It’s seems to remain at a very constant ph , according to run off,

Thinking this might be it for this batch but u never know

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app

I use equal quantities of coco coir, perlite and compost.

I found a tip on a gardening group on sterilising soil after cleaning. Either steaming or putting it in the oven.

For the oven, put some soil (about 4 inches deep) in an oven-safe container, like a glass or metal baking pan, covered with foil.

Place a meat (or candy) thermometer into the center and bake at 180-200 F. (82-93 C.) for at least 30 minutes, or when soil temp reaches

180 F. (82 C.).

I used this for many plants and as yet no issues. It doesn't discriminate so will kill everything, good or bad.

• Oz unpinned this topic