SOIL VS HYDRO.

hey

i want to grow with soil in my wardrobe (160H X 150L X 48D), under a 400w which i am purchasing within the next week.

i want to get around 24 oz.

DWC i was going to use, but i have to be stealth. the ir pumps and all that make too much noise.

ill have 3 x 120mm fans for exhaust/intake.

how can i achieve this ? i will be properly fertilizing the plants, and growing them at this soil ratio

coco peat 75%

Medium size pearlite 15%

Vermiculite 10%

Wetting agent

dolomite lime (to make ph 5.5-5.7)

at what height should i flower the plants ?

off a 400w light, how much can i expect ?

how many plants will i neeed ?

ta

Edited by allhailthebud

24ounces... thats about 670grams, thats 1.7 grams/watt... very ambitios. I had 290g with 400W, first time was about half of that... ;)

powerhead make much less noise than airpumps, if you're still looking at DWC.

SOG (sea of green) are imo good for achivieng good results, but you'd have more, much more plants (altough smaller) to explain if something happens.

good luck,

mace

Hiya just from my experience......

i have gotten 2-6 oz of dry bud per plant ( but had alot more leaf and trim during the grow) with my cupboard of 6ft high 3.5wide and 2.5 deep

but thats hydro DWC.I get 6 plants in my setup and thats pushing it i think.

My first grow the plants tryed to get 4ft+ and got toasted on my light my second got to about 2-2.5ft . It also depends on the strain but the smaller the plant when you go 12/12 the less the plant will grow before flowering, generally i think 6-12 inches but ive seen people flower at 4inches high this will affect yield!

I have 2 fans set up but 3 would be better, i would have 1 or 2 set up on alternating sides to the bottom blowing and 1 higher for exhaust(opposite to the blowing fan if you only use 1 blower)

As far as i can see if ya want 24oz ya really need a bigger space for more plants if ya talking 24oz of dry bud.Otherwise experiment and see what ya can fit in there ;)

Hope this helped

lower your goals..... a bit and you will make up with it in potency.

thats a fact . soil plants like big pots , simple as that .

if your in oz i would use searles premium \ perlite . no bugs ..... right ph .

canna nutes ....... make sure the water sits for 2 days ...... and bingo .

you will have great plants ....... :smoke

coco peat 75%

Medium size pearlite 15%

Vermiculite 10%

Wetting agent

dolomite lime (to make ph 5.5-5.7)

lol that's not soil. Leave out the lime, verm and wetting agent. Mix the coco/perlite about 60/40 also, add a few inches of clay balls to the bottom of the pot to assist drainage and give good root airation. Using this media and hand watering with good nutes will give you just as good results as any hydro system. Beware of over watering, coco holds a lot of water for a long time.

Yup, what you described wasn't soil, it was soilless mix.

I'd say 24 oz is a fair sight too ambitious for a 400w unit in a cupboard too.

Those 120mm fans won't be strong enough. You'd be better off with a 150mm centrifugal or at least a good quality 250mm axial like a hydroturbo. You need to be able to move the entire room volume of air within 5 minutes, or under one if you can.

You can expect a pound + with a 600w, but it would likely be too strong and too hot for a cupboard unless it was bloody big, and you have excellent ventilation.

I'd suggest a perlite system myself, simple hydroponics with a reservoir and some 6mm watering rings fed from a small submersible pump.

And yeah, the fans will be more of an issue for noise than the air pump in DWC, although in some instances it can be a bit annoying. Best bet is to make it simple as possible, perhaps even handwatering.

You won't need lime, perlite is neutral and cocopeat is slightly acidic, so just perfect. I'd definitely increase the perlite component with a cocopeat system, and you won't be able to recirculate in coco either. lol

Hope that helps.

Guest Eikel

Hey Allhail,

With a 400w, decent nutes, coco-peat/perlite with clayballs base in 15+ltr pots and good conditions, you will yield up to 5oz/plant depending on strain, how long you let them veg and how much training/tipping you do.

I highly reccommend coco/perlite as a growing medium for under lights, however if your situation is humid it may not be the best medium for you.

I've got to see grows done in NSW, QLD, and VIC so far, and I've found more VIC growers seem to use coco because it's a very forgiving medium and low-maintenance. The reason I believe people in humid climates don't like it is due to organic interfierance from insects, root-diseases etc.. remember, CoCo is a moist medium.

If you were in a Humid environment, maybe a reticulated clayball or perlite setup would suit your situation better. Or maybe DWC would suit your fancy?

Anyway, that's my 2c lol