Indoor growing medium

I am doing my first grow with an airponic system in clay balls - I have some space in my chamber but I want to try a different medium/system under the same lights ... try and work out how much better the air system is - does anyone have any experience with a 'propagating sand/perlite mix ? I will be hand watering/feeding them and I have read that sand/perlite is a really good medium?

Any thoughts would be appreciated

I am using Canna coco and is AWESOME. The drainage is fantastic and its very light and fluffy. Its 100% nutral so if you are hand feeding you just need to water every 4-5 days with nutes and they love it. You can add perlite to it for airation but it realy isnt needed. My current coco grow is more vigerous and the plants are stockier than my last flood and drain grow.

I am using Canna coco and is AWESOME.

Ditto from me mate.

Canna CoCo is the easiest friendliest medium, just add perlite ;)

(Ok, so SOME people don't like it because it's also insect-friendly in some circumstances).

I am using Canna coco and is AWESOME. The drainage is fantastic and its very light and fluffy. Its 100% nutral  so if you are hand feeding you just need to water every 4-5 days with nutes and they love it.  You can add perlite to it for airation but it realy isnt needed. My current coco grow is more vigerous and the plants are stockier than my last flood and drain grow.

Hi Labrat

hear what you say and must admit I havent considered it yet - hmmm I also already bought the sand and perlite, so I'm pretty locked in for this grow anyway - was hoping someone had done a grow in it or knew someone who had but I appreciate the info .. maybe I'll try it next grow :thumbsup

I attached a pic of my current grow which is in clayballs ,, they're coming up to 3 weeks in the air ;)

post-6261-1125314661_thumb.jpg

Ditto from me mate.

(Ok, so SOME people don't like it because it's also insect-friendly in some circumstances).

Hi again Eikel

I noticed a few posts from you really liking the Canna Coco - havent really considered it yet ... which circumstances is it also insect friendly?

post-6261-1125314914_thumb.jpg

Hi Labrat

hear what you say and must admit I havent considered it yet - hmmm I also already bought the sand and perlite, so I'm pretty locked in for this grow anyway - was hoping someone had done a grow in it or knew someone who had but I appreciate the info .. maybe I'll try it next grow  :thumbsup

You wouldn't want to use CoCo in your system anyway mate, it's suited to run-to-waste (i.e. hand-watering) systems. Although in netpots - would you really use sand? You'd probably be better off with pure perlite or perlite and clayballs.

You'll probably get better results from your fancy setup than with CoCo anyway, it's a lazy-growers medium ;)

You wouldn't want to use CoCo in your system anyway mate, it's suited to run-to-waste (i.e. hand-watering) systems. Although in netpots - would you really use sand? You'd probably be better off with pure perlite or perlite and clayballs.

You'll probably get better results from your fancy setup than with CoCo anyway, it's a lazy-growers medium ;)

at first i thought i was going to rinse the roots clean and repot them into the nets :thumbsup then i found out that wouldn't work and i'd stress or kill them .. so I did more reading and came up with perlite and sand ... I still thought I'd transplant them and flower them in the airponics but thats got probs also - so I'm gonna try the sand and perlite in tall 'forestry pots' side by side the airponics .. hand watered ... and you're right I couldn't have picked a more complicated system for my first grow :;): but I think the results are gonna be good .. so far, so good anyway

thanks for the info Eikel

Ditto from me mate.

;), My coco/perlitemedia is always home to a large colony of ants, they do no harm and I believe they eat any grubs/fungus that might get into the media. I've had ants an all three of my grows so far and they are more than welcome.

A sand/perlite propogating mix sounds like something you might germ seeds in. I have doubts about how good sand could be as a growing medium because sand would not provide good airation and it would tend to wash down through the perlite and form a sludge at the bottom of the pots.

What a load of shit! Everyone has different curcumstances that dictate how they can grow.... To say that it is lazy to grow in the cheapest and easiet way is a joke, Pull your head in mate....I'll bet my Coco plants would rival anything you have grown in any system. You spend the all that coin on a fancy set up and ill get just as good results for a fraction of the cost and fisting around.

Coco is no more lazy than anyother mediam, I would say anyone who has insects in an indoor setup is lazy.

Just my $.02!!

Labrat