Where to get Peat Moss and Biochar

Hi all :)

Just wondering where everyone gets their peat moss and biochar from.

last lot of peat i got was https://www.petandgarden.com.au/potting-mix/1369-lithuanian-sphagnum-peat-moss-200-litre.html

look round you'll get it cheaper , can't remember the importer but that's were i got mine from , cheaper & had diff grades of peat 

Canadian spag peat moss  http://www.duralite.com.au/peat-moss/ was going to get this but went with the above 

bio-char pretty much in most places , few on ebay , cheaper to buy non activated & activate yourself by mixing with castings or 

compost & letting that sit for 2 weeks = activated , or get some fish hydrolysate opposed to fish emulsion , make a water mix by

the directions on the bottle add to the char & your activated , wet but activated 

if you don't need to make a soil mix asap do the sitting in castings/compost for 2 week just work out your amounts before hand

if you need to mix asap use the fish method but remember it's wet & your trying to evenly mix though , it will but might require more effort

but you have to activate the char B4 it go's in any mix otherwise it'll be sucking nutes faster than a plant can get at them

hope that helps P 

Thanks heaps itchy and cardrona. :)

Like the diy biochar, but in my case ... not quite feasible. 

Reckon that would be one, I'd like to watch someone doing it once or twice first, before giving it a go. :)

itchy ... looking through my notes, I found a really helpful guide I think you posted for quantities of water needed to wet peat ... I read that you may have used NZ peat moss before. If I've got it right ... have you noticed any difference between the NZ, Lithuanian and Canadian? 

Edited by pug1010

Thanks heaps itchy and cardrona. :)

Like the diy biochar, but in my case ... not quite feasible. 

Reckon that would be one, I'd like to watch someone doing it once or twice first, before giving it a go. :)

itchy ... looking through my notes, I found a really helpful guide I think you posted for quantities of water needed to wet peat ... I read that you may have used NZ peat moss before. If I've got it right ... have you noticed any difference between the NZ, Lithuanian and Canadian? 

i've used kiwi peat , which i can't get anymore , haven't used canadian but they say the canadian is the one to use 

i went with lithuanian cos i could choose the grade of peat , fine to coarse , 4 in total , from memory 

using the kiwi peat which was a fine grade i found 8lt of dry peat & 4lt of water gave you around 14lt of fluffed up hydrated peat 

Edited by itchybromusic
  • Upvote 1