How many regenerations are possible for a single plant?

You have read it incorrectly, harvest, put under 18/6 and in roughly three weeks put it back into 12/12, harvest again in 6 to 10 weeks depending on the strain. All up 9 weeks or more. To tell the truth I leave them about 1 more week in veg before I turn them when I use this method. So make that 10 weeks all up. They grow very fast once the new branches break out of the buds and they continue to grow in the first 3 weeks of 12/12.

Thanks for clearing that up for me, was read and not fully understood by me.

Peace

Thankyou for explaining that Bufo

just so im clear.... at harvy you leave some 'buds' on the plant.. then you revege it(18/6) for 3 weeks then flip again? ..sounds too easy. lol

... no problem sirvape :hi: And yes that's correct. The plants will look scraggly and pop out a few single and three finger leaves straight out the end of the buds before looking normal again... at that point trim everything below the new, healthy tips and hey presto she's ready to flip to flower again, should take roughly 4 weeks or so between harvest and flowering again.

Check this out ... outdoors to indoors.  :good:

post-11113-1206833499_thumb.jpg

post-11113-1214057964_thumb.jpg

post-11113-1207506171_thumb.jpg

post-11113-1214057734_thumb.jpg

post-11113-0-15832500-1370646198_thumb.jpg

Edited by bufo marinus
  • Upvote 5

thanks very much bufo, great pics just wondering??..did you trim the roots?  :twiddle:

if i had a large vege space, or a vege cycle outside.. i would try that.. 

especially if the buds were really good.. lol

but atm it doesnt suit my set up.  :crybaby:

Peace

vape4life

and that doesnt look hard work at all... :x

Must have missed that one in microbiol... so wtf is the 'dna degeneration cycle' and how come the Dutch seem to be able to keep mother plants alive and healthy for 20 years and more??

If you know anything about plant biology, you'll know the process of DNA replication and the mitosis process. Eventually so many replicationas are made as the plant ages, that its genetics are weakened on the plant, but the source DNA and RNA is still kept the same (where it gets complex..), so if that plant is used for breeding, the offspring will be what the mother is in a non de-generated state.

DP can keep plants long because they keep their OG mothers and fathers for future breeding stock. There are CO strains, "clone only" strains which have been bred over many years to archieve what they are now and reduce DNA de-generation by as long as possible.

If you know anything about plant biology, you'll know the process of DNA replication and the mitosis process. Eventually so many replicationas are made as the plant ages, that its genetics are weakened on the plant, but the source DNA and RNA is still kept the same (where it gets complex..), so if that plant is used for breeding, the offspring will be what the mother is in a non de-generated state.

DP can keep plants long because they keep their OG mothers and fathers for future breeding stock. There are CO strains, "clone only" strains which have been bred over many years to archieve what they are now and reduce DNA de-generation by as long as possible.

Could you please explain your abbreviations 'DP' and 'OG'?

Are you aware of a way to measure 'DNA degeneration' or is this just an opinion?

I have no doubt that environment can influence gene expression but I don't believe epigenetic shift is always a negative thing.

Naycha :peace:

You know, there is no need to be rude to people when they ask you a question.

I do know a thing or two about mitosis and believe you are misapplying the Hayflick Limit... it does get a bit complex, but I'll try and make my post understandable.

Yes, human somatic cells do have a limit on the number of divisions that can occur before senescence takes hold, but this is not true of all cells (even in the human body, let alone all living species). Within the human body, the Hayflick Limit does not apply to stem cells, differetiated neuronal cells, germline cells (sex cells) or cancer cells.

All eucarotic cells contain telomeres at the ends of the chromosomes and with division the telomeres shorten. The thing is there are several mechanisms that can reverse teleomere shortening. One of which is telomerase, an enzyme that produced by certain cells that repairs the lost telomere portion of the chromosome after cell division.

You can even buy this shit in a bottle these days as an 'anti-ageing' tonic.

In microbiology when the telomere is repaired fully after division the cell is said to 'immortal'... Maybe you didn't go far enough in micro to come across the idea of biological immortality? In many plant species (as well as other life forms) senescence does not occur even after the telomeres have shortened to the point that accurate transcription can nolonger occur.

Cell division then stops, but the cells do not die. This is how trees can live for thousands of years...upward growth may finish but the trees remain alive in a state of 'biological immortality'. This doesn't mean they can't die, just that there is no preprogrammed senescence to signal the end of life once the cells stop dividing.

Examples can also be found amongst all the classes of mulitcelled animals... certain whales, turtles, sharks, sturgeon, and deep water rock fish are effectively ageless. Large eagles, old world vultures, lobsters, and the African Grey Parrot all age at an extremely slow rate, much slower than the Hayflick Limit would suggest if it were an absolute rule.

Particularly in the case of vegetation, many species do not obey the Hayflick Limit. In the case of annual plants, semelparity, or the tendency for a species to die after a single reporductive cycle, is signalled by something outside of the plant's own biology (as Nay mentioned epigenic factors come into play).

Considering we are most interested in cannabis I will limit myself...

Now as I understand it, cannabis is an annual, short-day flowering plant. Or, to put it another way, semelparity in cannabis is triggered by the plant's response to the photoperiod. Of course, this does not hold true for ruderalis, which is day neutral (but a very good example of how an epigenic change has benefited the species). Photoperiodism is very reason why we can revegetate cannabis plants after flowering and the reason we can maintain mother plants in constant vegetation for an indefinite period of time.

If cannabis obeyed the Hayflick Limit we would be able to mathematically determine how long a plant could concievably survive. This figure would closely approximate the observed life span of the plant and would be unalterable.

Obviously, cannabis does not obey this principle. The observed life span of cannabis plants is approximately one year, yet the mother rooms of European and Nth. Amercian breeders contain examples of plants that have been growing for 20 years and more.

I mentioned ruderalis as an example of epigenisis... basically, sativa strains grown originally for fibre, naturalised into a harsh climate and lost their short day flowering habit. Although they have the same number of chromosomes as indicas and sativas, the observed life span of wild ruderalis is only 10 to 12 weeks, 1/4 of the observed, natural life span of photoperiod sensitive varieties.

The incredible variation seen in cannabis is down to environmental factors. Even in sativas and indicas we differences in their response to the photoperiod that relates to the regions in which they evolved. The ideal indica is a short day 'obligate' flowering plant... that is, it absolutely requires a drop in light hours to initiate flowering. Whereas, the ideal sativa is considered a short day 'facultative' flowering plant that, if left to vegetate long enough will begin to flower regardless of a constant photoperiod.

The strains we grow today are neither 'ideal' indicas or 'ideal' sativas so you can expect to see some cross over between obligate and facultative habits. Notably though, this is what makes indica dominant plants more stable than sativas, over time, when kept as mother plants over the longer term.

I think that's the gist of it... and I expect this post is going to get a tl;dr from most readers but if you manage to get to the end...

Thankyou for reading and feel free to ask questions . :thankyou:

• Upvote 8