Help- 2 newbs have no idea

Fish tank water usually has a PH of 7/neutral, if your mate is looking after his fish.

If you look at that table. If it was PH7, you are already causing certain elements to be locked out.

An ec pen measures the electrical conductivity of a solution. the strength of dissolved salts/impurities contained in it

The lower the ec in your tap water the better. If you look up a feeding schedule for particular nutrient brand it should have nutrient mix ec level as well as how many ml/ltr to add to water.

In short you use it to measure the strength of you nutrient solution used to feed your plants

see-Thanks for that, seems theres an awful lot to learn so I will have to do a lot of reading before trying another one.

mirrors- yes an aquarium, they have 5 goldfish (NOT carp) that they have had for between 10-15 + years (they are HUGE!!) and over time the fish outgrew tanks so they had one specially made that runs along one wall of their study, its fresh water and unheated. I don't know anything about fish or aquariums so the ph of aquarium water etc like SEE was talking about is all new territory for me. 

No problem Eccentric. Growing is not really that hard, fine tuning it for the best outcome will come with experience and the knowledge of others.

You can buy both types of pens fairly cheaply on ebay. Don't cheap out too much on a PH pen and get some calibration solution or powder with it, I have 2 in case 1 plays up

Just as an update with thanks to all those that offered advice..

I tried the flushing and it helped a bit, checked the Ph and it was sitting on 7 so tried to lower it to around 6. The plant seemed stable but ratty for at least a few more weeks then started to deteriorate again so I then beheaded it and split it with my friend.

Mt half come to 30.4 grams dried and cured (well hopefully cured.. never tried that before)

Hmm accidently attached it twice and it wont let me deleted either image, apologies for the replication

post-50277-0-65688800-1389275332_thumb.jpg

post-50277-0-34333800-1389275476_thumb.jpg

Edited by Eccentric