Help Topic: Glogs
The glog section of the community can be used to read other members' glogs, and to create a glog yourself. To access it, click the "Glogs" tab at the top of any page.
Glog Home Page
When you first go into the glogs, you will see a list of glogs. Important glogs and your favorite glogs will be shown at the top, followed by all other glogs. You may also see a featured glog entry above the list.
Glogs may be local glogs, meaning that they are stored within the community, or they may be external glogs, which are links to glogs not stored within the community.
For local glogs, you will see the title of the most recent entry along with a short excerpt from it, and details of the glog such as the title of the glog, to whom it belongs and the total number of comments, entries and views the glog has had. For external glogs, you will just see the title of the glog, to whom it belongs and the total number of views. To view any glog, you can click on the title of the glog. For hosted glogs, you may also click on the title of the most recent entry.
Changing the View
There are a few ways the glogs can be displayed. You can change the display using the filters at the top of the glog list:
Dashboard - An aggregated view of the latest entries from all glogs.
All Glogs - A table view, which is similar to how topics are shown on the forums.
Local - As above but limited to local hosted glogs.
External linked glogs - As above but limited to linked glogs using 3rd party services.
Following a glog
You are able to follow a glog and subscribe to be notified of updates to it by clicking on the follow glog button.
Below the glog list, you can see statistics of the glogs, such as who is currently reading the glogs, the total number of glogs, the newest glog, etc.
There are also links to see the top 10 viewed glogs, top 10 commented glogs, and 10 glogs with the most entries.
This only applies to local glogs. For external glogs, you will be taken to the glog when clicking on the glog name.
In the center of the glog page, you will see a list of recent entries. You will see the title of the entry, who posted it and when, the entry itself and how many comments and trackbacks it has had.
You can click the entry title to see the full entry, along with trackbacks and comments, or press "comments" or "trackbacks" to be taken straight to those areas.
You may be able to rate a glog by selecting one of the stars at the top of the glog. After rating, you may be able to change your rating by selecting a different star. In some cases, the stars may not be shown or you may not be able to click on them.
In the left or right columns of the glog, you will see blocks containing various content. Which blocks are shown and their positions will vary based on the glog owner's configuration. The most common content blocks are:
- Mini Calendar - This will show a small calendar, highlighting days for which entries are available.
- Last entries - This will show a list of the most recent entries to the glog. You can click on any entry title to be taken to it.
- My Glog Links - This contains useful links, including:
- Track this Glog - Clicking this link will add the glog to your tracked glogs which you can view and manage in your settings panel.
- Add glog to favorites - Clicking this link will add the glog to your list of favorite glogs
- Syndicate my Glog (RSS) - Clicking this link will take you to an RSS feed of the glog which you can subscribe to using an RSS program.
- Archive - Clicking this link will take you to an archive of all entries to the glog.
- Last Comments - This will show who most recently commented on the glog and which entry was commented on. You can click on the entry title to be taken to it.
- My Picture - This will show the profile picture of the glog owner.
- Active Users - This shows how many and which users are viewing the glog.
- Categories - This shows the different glog entry categories. You can click on any category to see a list of entries in that category.
- Search My Glog - You can use this to search all entries in the glog. Simply enter your keywords into the box and press "Go".
You can share glog stories with sites such as Twitter or Facebook, or share them via Email, by using the "Share" buttons found below each entry.
When viewing an entry you may see any trackbacks stored for the entry, if the glog has trackbacks enabled. You can access the trackback URL by pressing the "Trackback URL" link.
At the bottom of an entry's page, you will see any existing comments on the entry. Below the comments will be a textbox you can use to leave your own comment.
Creating and Managing Your Glog
Creating a Glog
You may be able to create your own glog within the community. To do so, visit the "Glogs" tab in your settings panel. Under "Your Glog Settings" you will see your current glog if you have one. If you can create a glog, you will also see a section titled "Create a Glog" - you must read and accept the terms by checking the box, and pressing Next >.
You can then give your glog a name and description and choose if it will be a local or external glog. When you are ready, press Finish.
You will now be taken back to the "Your Glog Settings". Make sure if you are setting up an external glog that you now go into your glog settings and enter your glog URL.
You may be able to create more than one glog, and you may not have all settings mentioned above available to you.
Your Glog Settings
From the "Your Glog Settings" area of your settings panel, you can click on your glog name to manage its settings, including:
- Your Glog - This is general settings for your glog such as the name, description and whether it is local or external. You may also be able to change the view permissions. "Public" means all members that can see the glogs can see your glog, "Private Club" means that only members you allow can see your glog, and "Private" means only you can see your glog. Some of these options may not be available.
- Your local glog settings - If you have a local glog, you can configure here various settings such as guest access, comments and trackbacks.
- RSS Settings - You may be able to disable RSS, or enable an alternate RSS service here.
- Customize the look of your Glog - You may be able to change the way your glog is displayed here such as the style it uses, and the number of entries shown per page.
- Private Club - If your glog is in "Private Club" mode, you can enter who has access to your glog here.
- Editors - You may be able to assign additional people permission to add entries to your glog. Enter the names of members who should have this permission here.
- Your external glog settings - If you have an external glog, you can enter the URL to it here.
To add an entry, you can either click "Post new entry" beside your glog from "Your Glog Settings", or press the Add Entry button from your glog.
You will need to enter a title for your entry. You can enter "tags" for your entry, which can be used to separate entries into categories if you frequently glog about multiple subjects.
You may be able to choose the date that the entry is posted on, and if you have more than one glog, you can choose the glog it should be saved to.
You may be able to add a poll to your entry just like you would on the forums.
You should the type your entry like any message. You may be able to add attachments to your entry.
At the very bottom of the page you can choose to submit your entry as a "Draft", meaning it will not be published right away, or, as "Published", which will mean it is immediately available for others to view.
When you are ready, press Post New Entry.
Changing Your Glog Theme
You may be able to change your glog's theme to a different style by pressing the " Change Theme" button from your glog. This will bring up a pop-up displaying the styles you can choose from. Click on a style to change your glog.
You may be able to create your own theme by choosing the " Create a custom theme" option from the same "Change Theme" Menu. This will bring up a box that will allow you to change the theme of your glog by entering custom CSS code, or using the color picker. Once you have saved your theme, it may have to be approved by an administrator before it becomes active.
You can add content blocks by pressing the "Add Blocks" button from your glog.
The functions of the default blocks are explained earlier in this help file, or you may be able to add your own blocks by pressing the " Add Custom Content Block" option. There may be additional content block options available.
You can move your content blocks by clicking and holding on the title bar and then moving them to the new location, which can be in the left or right columns.
To remove a content block, press the icon.