Eikel makes some cannabutter.

Guest Eikel

Guest Eikel

Hey Boys and girls.

Well I'd cut down one of my male plants and was trying to decide if I wanted to give hash-making a go. I concluded against it due to the small amount (2.2oz dry) of leaf I'd be using.

So, without further ado, here's my cannabutter method:

(These pics are the root mass of the plant that went into the cannabutter).

post-4190-1112493158_thumb.jpg

post-4190-1112493169_thumb.jpg

Guest Eikel

Ok, so first step is to let your plant dry, and then trim off all the leaves.

Place the trimmed leaves into a pot of warm (not hot or cold) water, and leave to soak for a few hours (stirring ocasionally, being very gentle).

In this batch, I tossed in a handful, maybe 1/8th of dried buds just incase the male-leaf wasn't very strong. There is around 62gm of dried male leaf in this batch.

post-4190-1112493354_thumb.jpg

post-4190-1112493370_thumb.jpg

Guest Eikel

After allowing the plants to soak, the water should have turned a slightly yellowy-green colour. Pour off the water carefully and strain out the plant material.

After the soak, I pour hot water (around 4 litres) over the pre-soaked leaves/bud in the pot, turn the stove onto high, and add 500gm of butter, cut into 4 cubes.

Allow the butter to melt, stirring ocasionally and bring the mixture to the boil.

post-4190-1112493626_thumb.jpg

post-4190-1112493637_thumb.jpg

Guest Eikel

After the water gets to the boil, I stir vigorously and then turn the heat down to low.

The mixture will go back to a slow boil, which I then stir occasionally.

Over a 3.5hr period I would turn the stove to high, and back to low, while stirring every 15-30 minutes.

The first pic is the mixture cooked for 1 hr, the second pic is at around 3 hrs.

post-4190-1112493882_thumb.jpg

post-4190-1112493900_thumb.jpg

Guest Eikel

When you are ready to finish the cooking process, I suggest turning the stove up to "high" again, and give a vigorous stir - this will ensure none of the fats have solidified enough and will "pour" easily.

I took the mixture off the stove while still boiling, placed a teatowel over a pasta-strainer and then poured the mixture into another cooking-pot. It will take awhile to drain through the tea-towel, so you will probably have to pour the mixture through a bit at a time.

post-4190-1112494070_thumb.jpg

post-4190-1112494080_thumb.jpg

Guest Eikel

After most of the mixture has strained through the tea-towel you will then need to "wring" the tea-towel out to get all the lovely thc-butter that has permeated the plant-material.

Be careful while you are doing this, as the mixture will be hot and it's quite easy to burn yourself with the hot butter-fat.

After squeezing out all the goodness discard your plant material and place the pot of the strained mixture into the freezer.

After 3 or so hours in the freezer you will be able to take the solid butter off the top of the remaining water mixture and keep it for your various cooking attempts.

From this batch I got 398gm of cannabutter, a loss of 102gm of the original butter weight.

We made a batch of triple-choc choc-chip cookies from a pack with around 100gm of butter, the cookies were good and only had a mildly "weedy" taste. 2 Cookies put me to sleep, and my brother is still trashed after having 4 of them the previous night.

I Hope you enjoyed my Cannabutter pictorial! :smoke

post-4190-1112494384_thumb.jpg

post-4190-1112494398_thumb.jpg

Guest Eikel

Thanks Rufes and Thatswho. It's my 2nd batch of Cannabutter, much stronger than my first attempt which was with only a 1/2oz of bud.

Not really that different to Pipeman's method, but I figured more pictorials can't hurt :(

What was the smell like?

The smell was quite reasonable actually, probably not the best if you're in an apartment building, but I only really noticed the smell when I was transferring the mixture between pots - If you have your stove-top fan running while it's boiling the smell isn't that bad.